Connect Thunderbolt enclosure to Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orbitalpunk, Nov 26, 2015.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I have a CalDigit Thunderbolt hard drive enclosure holding 3 drives and am trying to find out if there is any possible way to connect it to my 2015 Macbook? Obviously it has the one usb-c port. I do have the Apple Multi AV adapter giving me a USB 3 port. So is it possible to get a thunderbolt enclosure to connect to a usb 3 port? OR even converting the thunderbolt and usb-c ports into ethernet as the make adapters for both and join it with an ethernet cable? would that even work? sounds like it wouldn't but I'm kinda desperate here. I don't exactly want to let go of a $600 enclosure with 18TB of storage if you know what I mean.

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

It's not currently possible (AFAIK), and likely will never be possible. The rMB doesn't have a Thunderbolt controller. It may be theoretically possible to have a USB hub with a TB controller (and TB port) that could translate to USB, but it doesn't currently exist and it may not be economically practical to manufacture one any time soon (otherwise we'd probably have seen one by now).

It's a total drag, but your best bet might be to sell the TB enclosure and get a NAS. A multi-bay USB enclosure is also a possibility though most of the "reviews" I read about them tends to indicate they're untrustworthy and finicky (particularly if you're trying to do RAID over USB). If it doesn't need to be RAID, then the cheap solution would be to get a USB enclosure for each drive and hook them up to a hub.

The rumors are the next gen MB will have TB3 as part of it's USB-C type port(s) and that would obviously allow for TB devices.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The current rMB does not have thunderbolt, so it can't use thunderbolt devices. However, the Skylake version of USB C optionally has thunderbolt 3 built in, so it is very likely that the next rMB will have thunderbolt support.