Connect to computer without Itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mclimbin, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mclimbin macrumors newbie

Does anyone out there have an idea how I could connect to a computer to play music over the computer's speakers without using Itunes?

I'm a teacher and I often use music in the classroom. I have a nice classroom this semester with a great PC and stereo system connected to the computer. I'd like to be able to easily plug my iPhone into the computer and play a song now and then, but I don't want to have to use iTunes on the computer (mostly because I'm a part time teacher and lots of others share the room and computer with me. Of course we have different accounts and log ons, but still).

Is there such a thing as a cable that is a mini stereo 3.5 mm to USB cable, so that music could be input to the computer? I used to do this easily with my Palm TX.

Any ideas?

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

This may be oversimplifying things, but would it be possible just to connect the speakers to your iPhone and play the songs that way?

3. lollicup macrumors regular

plug the 3.5mm audio cable from the speakers, into your iPhone

Female teacher ?

4. tnisatard macrumors 6502

haha plugging it in works, but if it doesnt, you can try using those FM trnasmitters

5. mclimbin thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have access to the back of the computer. It's in a cabinet and is locked down. I could ask the IT guys to come give me access when I need it, but they generally frown on us messing around in there.

That is why I was asking about a usb cable, as there is a usb port in the front.

Yeah, the simplest would be to plug the speakers into the iPhone. However, if the speaker cable is not accessible, it becomes less simple.

6. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

do you have access to the speakers? some speakers have a AUX in on the speaker itself...so you might want to peak around the speakers you have and see.

7. mclimbin thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I actually don't have access to the speakers. The computer (and a document camera) are connected through the wall to a projector and the speakers.

The only port I can get to is a USB.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Then you'll need some software on the computer to control the iPhone, either iTunes or some other alternative, since there's no software on the iPhone that sends playback commands to a computer.

9. lollicup macrumors regular

10. mclimbin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Lolli. That is the kind of thing I was looking for.

As far as software, does anyone know of any non-itunes software that will let me play through a usb?

I'm assuming itunes won't work, as I can't sync my music to multiple computers, right?

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you sync your music, itunes won't work to do this, but if you manually manage your music, you can connect your iphone to a computer through the usb port, and use itunes to play the music on the iphone, even if it isn't the computer you sync with.

12. lollicup macrumors regular

1) NO! ( this has been answered already, why do you continue to keep asking)

2) Correct, the iphones do not work like a regular MP3 player, you NEED iTunes to use your iPhone