Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grinch1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
I have a new Touch with 3.1.2 on it and I am wondering if there is a way to connect it to the internet by bluetoothing to my laptop that has internet access? It is a work laptop to I can't use ICS. Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I can't seem to find the answer. Thanks all!

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Unfortunately, no.

Bluetooth tethering in the iPhone OS is implemented as a one-way street: from the Internet connection already available on the iPhone, through Bluetooth to some other device.

There is no provision for tethering in the other direction - from an Internet connection on some other device, through Bluetooth, to the iPhone. Technologically, there is no reason why such a connection wouldn't be possible; it's just not something that Apple considered to be relevant as they were implementing the iPhone's Bluetooth software. Either they never thought of it, or they thought about it then discarded the idea for some reason.

In any event, no form of tethering in either direction was included in the version of the iPhone OS that runs on an iPod touch.

The first direction, from the iPod touch through Bluetooth to other device, would be useless because in order for the iPod touch to have Internet connectivity in the place, there would already be an active WiFi network in the area for the other device to connect to directly.

The second, from the other device through Bluetooth to the iPod touch, doesn't exist for the same reason that it doesn't exist in the iPhone.

All that said, I'm sure that there would be nothing stopping an interested and educated programmer from producing a jailbroken app that enables an incoming or outgoing IP-over-Bluetooth connection.

grinch1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
goosnarrggh, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. When one really thinks about it, I guess it would be almost useless to have this capability enabled to begin with. It just stinks bring a Touch to work and having it function a $300 paper weight!

I'd also imagine a jailbreak hack for this down the road, we will see. Thanks again.

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Just a musing

....some of the newer computers can act as a wireless router......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.