Connect to internet from phone using your computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ktalebian, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,

I know you can use your iPhone as a modem for your computer.
    But, I am looking for the exact opposite of that! I'm somewhere that has week internet signal. I'm connected to it with my MBP and wanted to connect my cellphone with the cable, and use the internet from the laptop on my iPhone.

Is that possible?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't think it would be possible without some sort of jailbreak. Are you willing to do this?

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The only way to increase your 3G/Edge (Cellphone signals to make calls/texts) is to buy Microcell from AT&T.

But if you want your MacBook's Wifi (assuming your MacBook is using ethernet), you can do that. I don't have my Mac handy but maybe someone else can chime in.

No jailbreaking required. You can into System Preferences on the Mac and do something with "Internet Sharing" I think.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Facepalm! Why did I not think of this. You should be able to set you macbook up to transmit its wireless signal, allowing your iPhone to connect to it (I think).

I will investigate.

It would seem unless you Mac is connected to the internet via ethernet you may have a problem. With Snow Leopard it seems that you cannot share an Airport connection back through the same Airport.

What router do you have? Perhaps it would be possible to buy a repeater?

5. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the all reply.

- My phone is already jailbroken.
    - I'm in a public place, and so I am using wire-less internet, and not ethernet.
    - I'm running Leopard, not snow leopard.

Thanks