'Connect to iTunes' after iOS 4.2 beta install. Help!

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Heisler98, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Heisler98 macrumors member

I torrented (I know, bad bad boy) the official beta 3 of iOS 4.2 for iPad. Things were going great until a dialog popped up that said 'This iPad's version has expired. You must update this iPad to a newer version'. I assume its some sort of beta thing. After that, I turned the iPad on and its stuck at the 'Connect to iTunes' screen. The logo is the new one, which means that it is 4.2. Even when I connect it to iTunes and sync, it won't let me install the applications. It says they've contacted an error. Also, when I connect it, the iPad Summary page says the Version is 4.2, meaning it has installed, I'm sure. Something just went wrong in the process. I've also tried re-updating it, and have used Option+Update, not Option+Restore.
    I really want 4.2, and I've tried to restore but it keeps saying 'iTunes cannot download the correct resource'. I'm downloading 3.2.2 IPSW file right now.

Help anyone?
    Thanks.

2 Mac G4s, 100 GB HD
    1 Mac G3, 50 GB HD, updated memory 3 GB

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Use the 3.2.2 ipsw file to restore your iPad by using the alt key when clicking on the restore button in iTunes. If you want to update to the 4.2 beta 3, then use the ipsw file and update your ipad using the alt key again. Do not restore it to the beta version. Update it.

3. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

OK. I'm downloading 3.2.2 ipsw right now, should be done within the hour. I think I've already tried to do that twice. If it doesn't work, any other way that I could do it? Maybe bypass the Connect to iTunes screen with some sort of recovery/dfu mode that I'm currently not aware of?

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Then put the ipad in dfu mode. Keep both the home and the power button pressed for ten seconds (after you power off the device). When you see the Apple logo, leave the power button and keep the home button pressed for another ten seconds. While you are doing all these, make sure that the ipad is connected per USB with your computer and itunes is running. Itunes will report that there is a device that needs to be restored, so it will present you with the screen to restore your iPad. That works always.

5. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

But it won't let me install 4.2, will it? I've already tried restoring to the beta, and it hasn't gone too well. I've bricked the iPad already once. It was horrible.

6. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

Can I simply just put the iPad in recovery or dfu mode, and install 4.2 beta 3, and then go along?

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If you do that and do not have a developer account, then your ipad will fail activation. The only way to do that is by first installing 3.2.2 and then upgrading to 4.2 beta 3 (do not restore, update!).

8. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

Got it. I have a dev account, just no registered UDID or Developer Program activated (the $99 plan), so I'll just wait for 3.2.2 and install the beta. Thanks for the advice. I'll reply if I need any more help.

9. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, when I updated it to 4.2 from 3.2.2, it all worked, except that the dialog again popped up and said, "This iPad 'Hunter's iPad''s version is outdated. You must upgrade to a newer version.". Any other suggestions?

Edit:
    Is there some way to possibly bypass the "Connect to iTunes" screen that is appearing on the iPad?

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Are you sure you are running the beta 3? Beta 2 expired.

11. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

Oh. The DMG file says Beta 2. OK. The IPSW file says beta 3 though. Weird. I'll look for Beta 3 and reply if I need any more help. Thanks.