Connect to iTunes (slide for emergency) screen even after unjailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jamesj999, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jamesj999 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I jailbroke my iPhone 4 when it was running 4.3.3 using ultrasn0w. It was an untethered jailbreak, and my iPhone is all fully activated and legit so I didn't need any activation hacks or anything. This all worked great for a month or so. I could switch the phone off and on and it would boot fine. The phone then crashed one day and whenever I switched it on, I couldn't get past the 'Connect to iTunes' screen without tether booting using limera1n.

After a while, I got fed up with this so unjailbroke. I then missed my emulators, so re-jailbroke using Jailbreakme. Straight away, I got the 'Connect to iTunes' screen, so again was stuck only able to tether boot... So after a while I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to 4.3.5 and not jailbreak again until iOS5. The problem is, my handset STILL comes up with the iTunes screen nearly every time I boot it. It was fine for a couple of days, but now I always have to tether-boot.

I really don't know what could be causing this, because it's a legit iPhone 4 on an iPhone 4 carrier running non-jailbroken iOS4.3.5!

Is there anything I can try to fix this problem?

Cheers

2. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Have you tried to restore with iTunes only to 4.3.5?

Start iTunes, connect your iPhone to your computer, it should detect it, then hit restore button, if all goes fine, it should start your restore. When its done it will reboot, with the connect to iTunes logo, dont worrie, its nomal, then iTunes should activate your iPhone back to normal.

JunkyDog:p

3. jamesj999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply :)
    Yeah, when I updated to 4.3.5 I did it through recovery mode as a full restore through iTunes. Still comes up with the iTunes screen every time I boot it though - even though it didn't for a couple of days!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's not the recovery mode connect to iTunes screen, it's the one that usually comes up when you first switch a brand new iPhone on!

4. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

What happend when you connect the iPhone to your computer then? Does iTunes detect it? Sorry if i ask to much, but i need a bit more info, if iTunes detect the iPhone, it should be straight forward for iTunes to activate your iPhone. but for you it aint that easy, so what happen when you hook up your iPhone to iTunes?

5. jamesj999 thread starter macrumors newbie

First time I booted the phone with the unjailbroken software on, it activated fine with iTunes, before syncing all of my apps back on. Now I've set a passcode on the phone, when I plug it into iTunes it complains that it can't connect to the phone because it is passcode locked. I can't enter my passcode on the phone because it is stuck saying 'Slide for Emergency'.

6. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Try a hard reset:

step 1. Hold power for 3 secs
    step 2. Hold power and home for another 10 secs
    step 3. Release the power button and hold Home button for another 15 secs

Now iTunes should detect this as a new iPhone, and if im correct the passcode will also be wiped clean, and you should be able to use the iPhone again.

Hope it helps you..

7. jamesj999 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem isn't that I can't get past this screen, I can easily tether-boot to get rid of it. The problem is that whenever I do a full restore on my iPhone, it still won't boot after a couple of days without me using Limera1n. Sorry if I was a bit vague with my first couple of posts! :p

8. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Sorry, im out of any ideas for you. The only thing i have left to suggest to you is that you take it to a Apple Store near you and let then look at it for you.

JunkyDog

9. jamesj999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the help anyway mate :). I'm out of warranty, so might just wait until the 4S :p

10. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

it sounds more like hardware failure on the iphone you have, so it wont cost you much to get it replaced at a Apple Store. try it, and see what happend..