Connect to MacBook Pro From Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steverido1, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Steverido1 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I am having a problem connecting to the Mac from a PC. I input my login details but it will not accept them.

To connect it should use my username and password correct?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can use your mac to browse your PC files but as far as I know you need some software to remotely log in to a mac from your PC.

3. Steverido1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never had this issue before. I use Goodysnc and that will not accept the login details either.

4. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Check System Preferences > "File Sharing" make sure its ticked and the folder/folders you want to access are added and your user account is added to the Users option.

Also Go to options and Make sure SMB is on and that Windows file sharing is on for the account you are using.

5. Steverido1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have all that done.

It wants a password that is different than my username logon password.

6. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Do you have any other accounts setup on the Mac? maybe try changing your Mac user account password to something simple like 1234567 just to test it...

Also how are you trying to access the Mac from the windows machine?

7. Steverido1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have changed the password and even tried changing the username and rebooting.

I am accessing from Windows Network. It is showing the Mac too.

I have also tried inputting details with Goodsync to no avail

8. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

have to tried going to start > run and \\macipaddress eg \\192.168.0.* and then picking the share you want access to and entering your username and password?

9. Steverido1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried that too.

10. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

maybe temporary turn of the firewall on the Mac... it sounds as if the sharing part is working fine as you are being promoted to enter a username and password, maybe try creating a new user account on the Mac and give that access to the share folders and see if that works? Other wise Im out of ideas!

11. Steverido1 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Under System preferences -> sharing -> computer settings make sure that the box "VNC viewers may control screen with password" is checked and give it a password that you will use with your PC VNC software.

13. Steverido1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have wiped the hard drive and carried out a fresh install.

If you look at the screenshot you can see that the box in Windows shares with my name can't be checked.

I assume until I can do this then I will not be able to connect from a Windows PC!

I am also confused after trying every way possible which name and password I use for connecting to the mac from Windows. Is is my user ID which shows up under users in system preferences?

Strange that i am having these issues now because it was never a problem connecting directly and without a third party software like Goodysnc.

Attached Files: