Connect to non-US app store from US?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dougmckee, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dougmckee macrumors newbie

So I just purchased a new Griffin RoadTrip. It is a pretty good mount and charges my phone. But it's not a great FM transmitter. I'd really like to put it into international mode so it could broadcast on lower frequencies. Griffin won't tell me how to do it since I purchased the unit in the US, but they did tell me that if I install a European (e.g., UK) version of their RoadTrip companion app on my phone that that will automatically put the device into international mode. Does anyone have any idea how I might get ahold of the UK (or other euro) version of this free app?

Thanks!!

Doug

2. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

If you had an EU iTunes account, you could get the EU or UK version
    Didn't used to require any payment details for account creation, not sure if this is still the case. Try it

3. dougmckee thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck

OK, so I tried to create a UK account without a UK credit card and had no luck. I even tried creating a free AOL UK email account, but this doesn't work as a login to the itunes store--possibly _because_ it doesn't have an associated credit card.

Any other ideas? Or generous EU/UK members who might be willing to download the free Griffin RoadTrip app from their local store and send it to me?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Apps are tied to ones account. You can't simply send apps to people

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yes, you can. It's called GIFTING. It's an iOS 4.2 feature. Now if he means he wants the app already downloaded, and just transferred to his comp, then you are correct :)

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Oh cool, did not know about that

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, I've gifted a few apps already, it just sends them an email with a link to download the app. It's pretty cool :)

8. dougmckee thread starter macrumors newbie

First off, thank you to you guys for helping with this--I really appreciate it!

Second, do you know if you can gift free apps? Or if you can gift apps from one country's app store to someone who lives in another country? Is anyone with a UK or other EU account is willing to try gifting this (free) app (Griffin RoadTrip) to me (dmckee@ucla.edu)? It sure would be a nice Christmas present!

All best,

Doug

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I searched in the French store for Griffin RoadTrip...doesn't exist. There is an app from Griffin called iTrip. However, you can't gift a free app, so I sent you a recommendation. I don't know if you'll be able to get into the French store to download it or not...good luck.

10. X2thaP, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

X2thaP macrumors member

I needed a UK iTunes store account as well a long time ago and what I did was this:

Go to the UK (or other country) iTunes store, click app store, go to a free app and get it (click the button).
    iTunes will ask you to create a new account and for all your info and so on.
    Make sure to use a different email (one that you own or can access, but different than the one for your US account).
    Now, because it is a free app, you should be able to select "no" or something as a payment method.
    And that should be it... Hope this method still works, last time I did this was like a year ago I think.

11. Cybbe macrumors 6502

You can only gift within the same country App store.

I have been using multiple app stores for a few different reasons, but I have had credit cards and billing addresses in all these countries. Using an existing account, you cannot switch without having a credit card and billing address in that country using "none" as payment method (at least I havent gotten that to work). This should work if you create a new account from scratch though, so give that a shot.

12. X2thaP macrumors member

13. dougmckee thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolution

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help and put down for the record a few of the things I learned:

1. You can't gift free apps; you can only recommend people get them.

2. Apps (even free ones) that other people email you won't work; indeed they are signed such that they only work for the person who downloaded.

3. You _can_ get an account in the France iTunes store without providing payment info. You do have to make up a valid French address though.

4. The France version of Griffin's app does _not_ let you use frequencies below 88.3.

5. You can put your RoadTrip (2010) into EU mode by pressing the menu button until you see a Reset button. Press that once and then hold it down. Then you can use the same button to toggle between US/EU/JP modes.

6. The lower frequencies that this unlocks still sound terrible. Sigh.

7. I read somewhere that the FCC changed the rules on how powerful FM transmitters can be and none of the new ones that comply with these new rules work worth a damn.

8. I decided to just return my RoadTrip.

9. Eventually I'll just get a new car stereo that has a direct line in.

10. Until then it's back to my cassette adapter and separate car charging cable!