Connect to QNAP nas through Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShortyDK85, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ShortyDK85 macrumors member

Hey.

I recently purchased a used Airport Extreme (4th. gen.) and I set it up today. I have connected my QNAP TS-219P+ as well as my stationary to the Extreme, and the iMac has no problem seeing the NAS server under "shared" in Finder, but when I try to connect it just fails :(

I tried opening the Airport Utility app and changing the router function from Bridge to DHCP & NAT whereas I added my NAS server in the DHCP reservation window before pressing "Update".

However, after this change the status of the Extreme is "Double NAT" and when I click on it, I get the following explanation: This airport base station has a private IP address on its Ethernet WAN port. It is connected to a device or network that is using Network Address Translation (NAT) to provide private IP addresses. Change your Airport base station from using DHCP and NAT to bridge mode?

That's about where I am now... If someone can help me, that would be awesome! Thanks :)

// ShortyDK

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does the NAS work while in DHCP and NAT mode? If it does then that means that the first router in the chain is not passing a IP through the Extreme to the NAS. To resolve this issue, get your modem set to Bridge Mode. You can ignore the error from the Extreme for the time being if the NAS works, but make it a priority to get your Double NAT issue resolved.

3. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

No, the NAS doesn't work when running DHCP & NAT, but then again, it doesn't work either when I'm just using Bridge... I can see it in "Shared" but can't connect :(

On the other hand, the ethernet works fine and I have a fine internet connection when running DHCP & NAT.

4. drsox, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Does it fail because it can't connect or because you can't log-in to it ?

Maybe a good idea to list the config of all the items, i.e. what is connected to what. What's "stationary"

5. ShortyDK85, Apr 6, 2014

ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

The iMac can see the QNAP, but the connection fails... Weird thing is, I also have a Raspberry Pi connected (also shown under "Shared") and I can connect to that instantly with Bridge and DHCP & NAT.

Stationary: iMac 21.5" Medio 2011
    NAS: QNAP TS-219P+
    Media Player: Raspberry Pi
    Router: Airport Extreme (4th. Gen.)

By the way, the indicator on the Airport Extreme is flashing an orange kind of light (if that helps) when using DHCP & NAT, but not when using Bridge.

When using the Raspberry Pi with XBMC to try and play content from the NAS, it is unable to do it :(

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is likely because of a double NAT error.

Let's back up a bit. What do you have ahead of all this connecting you to the Internet? It sounds like you have a cable modem with a router built in. Ideally, you would want to get that device in bridge mode then reset the AE to default settings with DHCP.

7. ShortyDK85, Apr 6, 2014

ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh, of course the problem is in my modem... Problem is, the modem is provided by the internet company, which means my editing possibilities are limited... I have currently accessed the modem, looking for the "Bridge" possibility, but so far, no luck :(

If I can't find it, I will try and talk to Stofa (as the company is called tomorrow and see if they can't help...

I can't help but wonder, though... Why do you think the problem is in the modem? The modem has nothing (as such) to do with the connection between the computer and the NAS.

According to the admin page I am currently visiting, the modem is called "Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway". I searched a bit and found this, but when I am on that same page, I only have these settings.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like your ISP has the page locked down.

This should still work if you put the AE in bridge mode, but if still have the AE handling DHCP reservations, that won't work and may be the issue. DHCP reservations will need to be handled by the device that is handing out IP addresses (in this case your cable modem/router).

Try a hard reset of the AE then start over and set it to bridge mode only and see what that gets you.

9. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried a hard reset and changed it to bridge, still no luck :( I can still see it under "Shared", but now I can't even select it and be informed that connection failed. When I click on it, I just get a popup with the information that it cannot be opened because the original subject/topic cannot be found.

I have installed QFinder, which shows me the NAS server as well, but when I try to connect to it through the program, I receive an error, which states that there was a problem connecting.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you can see the QNAP in shared it does not sound like an IP issue. If it had no IP, you would not see it at all. I am not at all familiar with the working of a QNAP NAS, but it almost sounds like a configuration issue with the NAS? Is there a way to set it to defaults?

11. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

Weaselboy, you beautiful fountain of information, you! A reset of the QNAP did the trick! :) I can connect to it through Shared and see everything. Still working on accessing the NAS controls through Safari, but I'll get there.

Anyways, thanks a bunch for all your help! I really appreciate it :)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yay! Glad you got it working. :)