Connect to wifi network, Data off

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by HankHowdy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

When the phone is locked I don't get notifications. It's like the wifi connection times out? I have to wake the phone and then everything comes through.

I'm on iOS 8.1.2. Does this get corrected in the later builds?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

So you still have a mobile connection but have mobile data set to off?

3. HankHowdy thread starter macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, when there's no mobile/cellular connection the device should keep the WiFi connection when it's asleep or at least check in with it for updates, but when a mobile/cellular connection exists, when the device is asleep it will typically drop the WiFi connection (supposedly for battery reasons) and rely on that mobile/cellular connection for notifications and updates. Now, if data is disabled, it sounds like it should treat it more or less as if the whole mobile/cellular connection is disabled and rely on WiFi, but it seems that it's probably not how that was implemented.

5. niji, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

niji macrumors 6502a

niji

hi

wi-fi does not "time out" for Notifications.

Notifications works with either a persistent wifi or cellular data connection.

Settings/Notifications have you set it so that Notifications Show On LockScreen?

this is the only thing i can think of. sorry if it doesn't help.

you can verify you have a wifi connection from Lock Screen by swiping up to get a look at yr Control Panel (if you have Control Panel to be accessible from yr Lock screen)

HOWEVER: THE FOLLOWING IS AN APPLE SUPPORT DOCUMENT
    it may be indicating that if your particular wifi connection is using a proxy server, then it may not be able to connect to the apple server for notifications

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203609

Unable to use Apple Push Notification service (APNs)
    When a device is connected to Wi-Fi and does not have a cellular data account or a cellular data signal, push notifications are not received.
    Devices using APNs need a direct connection to Apple's server. If a device is unable to connect using cellular data, it will attempt to use Wi-Fi if available. If there is a proxy server on the Wi-Fi network, the device will not be able to use APNs, because APNs requires a direct and persistent connection from device to server.
    When connecting to APNs, iOS devices will use the cellular data connection if it's available. Only if the cellular connection is not available or viable will the device switch to Wi-Fi for APNs connections.
    endquote

6. HankHowdy thread starter macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I'm not in airplane mode. I just have cellular data toggled off.

When I wake up the phone the wifi logo is gone and it reappears a second later, then the notifications come in.

7. saudor macrumors 6502

What is your router model? I had an old router that needed its firmware updated to work with the push service. (Originally had to keep data on for any kind of push notification to come through or else they would be delayed 15-30 mins)

After the firmware update, it worked as normal even with data turned off