Connect to Wifi Via Macbook Pro Wifi/Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Is it possible to connect to my wired ethernet using my mbp wifi or bluetooth and use the wifi on my iphone.

2. one1 macrumors 65816

Ok I dig what you are saying. You don't have a router.

No you cannot do it via bluetooth, absolutely certain.

As far as using the computer for a host on wifi, I haven't tried it. Let someone else tell you.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes you can share one connection method through another connection method with your Mac (it's called an AdHoc connection). It's pretty easy, although the range is limited.

Go to System Prefs>Sharing>Internet Tab.
    Share connection from Ethernet.
    Click the box for Airport in the "To Computers Using:" box.

Look for networks now with your iPhone, you should see your Mac's short name now available.

Enjoy.

I used to use this method to connect my Nintendo DS to the internet for online play.

4. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

..Or go to eBay + shell out a few bucks on an Airport Express...They're pretty cheap and I'm so happy I bought one. :)

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

i have an airport express but my school dorm doesnt allow wifi routers in dorms.

6. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Some ISP get mad at you doing this... Not sure how they find out about it, but they can cancel your service due to violating terms of service? Why... again.... dunno.. I just know what my computer pops up a message saying so whenever I trying doing this..

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Trust me you have absolutely nothing to worry about. That dialog that comes up is an issue for any other wireless networks that may be around. It has nothing to do with ISP's or terms of service or cancellation or any of that stuff.

ISP's serve you, you do not serve the ISP.

8. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I think there may be an airport express setting not to broadcast your SSID (wireless name), then it's just a simple case of hiding airport :)

9. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The University I work at, at least, has tracking for multiple MAC addresses per port. Our Network Operations routinely shuts down any wired Ethernet port on campus that they detect traffic from multiple MAC addresses this way, specifically to prevent routers and switches (wireless or otherwise). So at least on our campus, you can't get away with a WiFi router for more than a couple hours before they kill your network connection completely, and you get a nasty phone call and e-mail.

All that being said, if your network isn't well tracked or the administrators are lackadaisical, you might be able to get away with having a WiFi router. Just a question of whether it's worth the risk, I guess, if you can find an alternative solution.

10. showtime macrumors 6502

is there a way to do this but through a windows pc?

11. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

How do you get the email? ;)

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Thus the calls as well, plus most people regularly check their e-mail via webmail on public/lab/friend's computers as well. The e-mails also get sent to employee's managers or student services (if it's a student). Some network infractions can lead to disciplinary action too, though usually more for copyright infringement notifications (they actually kick students out of the dorm for that).

13. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Does Sammy Davis Jr read these forums?

14. iWizzard macrumors regular

You will then not be able to surf via your computer sins it will act as an router. The campus will detect that you surfing with two mac addresses.

Why aren't you allowed to have a router? Afraid of to much traffic?