connect to windows network file shares from the iphone possible? (3g)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markm75, Nov 29, 2008.

1. markm75 macrumors member

Perhaps this is a silly question, but is there a tool to let you connect to a windows file share.. ie: so you can just tap and open word documents or movies on the windows file system via wifi?

Thanks

2. markm75 thread starter macrumors member

I have air sharing... but this doesnt let the iphone connect to windows shares..

it lets windows connect to two folders on the iphone via wifi, near as i can tell.. unless there is some method inside of air sharing i'm missing

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Oh i didn't see that. I don't think there is an app that does that.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

AFAIK I haven't seen/heard of any app that you're looking for yet.

(I might be wrong since I only check the Appstore & Appshopper twice a week)

5. mmcm888 macrumors newbie

There is an APP to do this.. AccessMyLan enables any iPhone to browse file shares inside the company network. All you have to do is install the agent software on any windows machine on your network, and then define what shares you want to make available (can be on different machines - just need to be WebDAV). The iphone user logs into a portal from safari and the file shares defined are listed (and web applications such as intranet). It's a quick and easy way to get access to company files from iPhone.

There is a free iphone trial available

6. MadDave macrumors newbie

I think what you are after is an app called NetPortal. There is a Lite version that you can try for free.

Cheers,
    MadDave

7. markm75 thread starter macrumors member

This app worked great.. only thing is, at least with iOS 4.0.1, and iphone4, i can no longer go by machine name on my work domain it seems.. doesnt matter if i'm vpn'd via pptp or on the wifi network.. i have to use ips for the names, in ANY app too.. ie: server.domain.local doesnt resolve anymore, before it would, as long as i put the domain.local in.