Connect two Cinema Displays (ADC) to MacBook/other laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jkj12, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Jkj12 macrumors member

I have two old Apple Cinema 23" HD displays + two ADC -> DVI converters.

I want to connect them both to my old MacBook/my Lenovo laptop. So I have two DVI connectors that I want to connect to my MacBook (mini display port) or my Lenovo (hdmi).
    Which adapter would you recommend for this setup?

I was thinking something like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/152194460131
    But I'm not sure if USB -> DVI would work???

2. chrfr macrumors 603

For the Mac you need a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter. These are inexpensive and easy to find. I'm not sure exactly what you will need for the Lenovo.
    Do keep in mind that Apple doesn't support the ADC to DVI converters anymore so you won't be able to adjust display brightness. Also, the adapters are not especially reliable so it would not surprise me if you find that they no longer work.

3. Jkj12 thread starter macrumors member

The Lenovo has a hdmi port so that's not the issue. I need it to run as dual monitors with extended display so I need some sort of splitter??

I know about the brightness issue but isn't there some kext fix for it? They aren't reliable? I thought it was just a simple adapter? Oh crap, I hope they work..

4. chrfr macrumors 603

The Apple ADC-DVI adapter is a powered device that requires USB connections and hasn't been made in a long time. It's definitely not just a simple adapter as it needs to power the display.
    What do you mean that you need the display to run as dual monitors? Are you trying to connect both to one computer?

5. Jkj12 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah sorry I didn't express myself correctly. I want to connect both monitors to one computer and I need to connect them to a MacBook and a Lenovo (of course not at the same time). :)

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Which MacBook?
    USB is not a good video solution on a Mac - particularly if you try USB while also using whatever the normal video output, min-DVI, mini DisplayPort, unless you have a retina MBPro with two built-in outputs, such as two thunderbolt ports.
    If you have an older MacBook with USB 2.0, then it would just not be usable at all.

7. Jkj12 thread starter macrumors member

It's an old 4.1 Blackbook
    It sounds like I will almost end up spending more money on adapters than the actual value of this old setup. Selling one of the monitors and just use the laptop as second monitor is probably a better solution.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

These old MacBooks really don't have a way to run 2 large external displays, and as the poster above wrote, USB won't be viable.
    It should work fine with one of the ADC displays attached, just get a mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

9. Jkj12 thread starter macrumors member

I will probably just sell one of them instead. :)