Connect two microphones to macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nzceedee, May 30, 2014.

1. nzceedee macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I currently use a Shure SM58 and an iRig to record my grand piano with garage band. I would like to connect a second shure sm58 to the mac to record a violin.
    Does anyone know if there's a solution to connect two microphones i.e. something like an iRig for two mics?

Thanks for your help in advance

NZC

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Check out the small Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, set you back around 100 but they have two XLR In's and fantastic PreAmps.

Work perfect with Garageband too.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Not really the ideal setup for recording piano.

As your recording skills improve you will be wanting to use more channels and better microphones. The SM58 is great for a live vocalist is a rock band who like a hand held mic. Not my first pick for a piano.

What you need is a quality USB audio interface with at least two inputs. However you might thing about getting one with four microphone inputs. The two that I would look at are
    the Presonus "Audiobox" series (they make several) and
    and Focusrite's "saffire" series of audio interfaces.

I don't know what results you are looking for with the piano. Is this in a very large room with the mic pulled way back to the audience's perspective or do yo want to close mic it from under the lid?

Same question from strings. You can pul the mic back or use one that clips onto the bridge or use a condenser mic on a stand about 12" away. Think about the sound you want. Listen to some good classical recordings and try and decide whig yo like and don't like, do you like the room ambiance or not?

Likely if you are recording in a small, non ideal space, like the typical home living room you want the mice in close so as not to capture much of the poor room refections

Plan ahead, get enough inputs and quality microphones and stands.

4. braddelava macrumors newbie

Apogee Duet is the best thing out there. 2 ins, amazing built-in pres...its simple enough for just about anyone to figure out but used by pretty much all the pros. I'm a proud owner!

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

I actually hate the thing. has poor ergonomics, has "'dongles" and costs more then it's worth.

The Focusrite box (and the Presonus audio box and others) on the other hand has very good ergonomics with a knob for each function and a jack for each cable. You would never be able to tell one from another in a blind listening test. I've never found anyone reporting that they can.

That is why they make so many different interfaces. People like different things.

6. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Just wanted to put my vote in for the Focusrite as well, I absolutely love my Scarlett 2i2.