Connect USB HDD to 2 peripherals

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rash00, Aug 26, 2010.

1. rash00 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an externally powered USB HDD which I want to connect to my Home Theater (which has a USB port and the HDD can be connected to it) as well as my Time Machine (which uses it for my Time machine backup of my MBPs and other media related stuff) at the same time. Of course the Home Theater will perform read-only functions on the HDD whereas the Time machine will do read-write functions, i.e. there is no chance of the both the connections doing write at the same time. Is there any such device which I can use to connect to both the devices. It'll be a plus if I dont have to do a switching manually and both the device can access the USB HDD at the same time..

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

What you need is a NAS. I wouldn't try to connect it to both computers at the same time...

3. rash00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually its one computer and one home theater system (a DVD player with a USB port). So basically only one 1 write operation possible at any time...

As regards to NAS, i have connected it to Time Machine, so the HDD is anyways available on network.

And one more thing, if necessary, I am located in Japan.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yes it's a DVD player but it acts like a computer in this case. Even if it's write only, I think it's a risky business. Many r/w operations could interfere and who knows what might happen, it's your backup after all.

This works, I have tried it as well. But it's not a clean solution. My 3 cents ;)

5. rash00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for your tip, but then how do connect my DVD player to NAS anyways? My goal is to connect the USB HDD to the DVD player (which has a USB port but not a lan port or wifi) and my computer at the same time.

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Oh you're right, there are no network capability on a DVD player... I am not sure if there are NAS with USB plug...

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

What you would need is a USB switch. USB devices were never meant to be connected to more than one computer (or DVD player in your case) at the same time.

An example:
    http://www.usbswitch.com/