Connect wirelless without airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cool11, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I want to be able to choose how to scan for wifi internet spots, using built-in airport of my mbp, or a third-party usb stick which can scan for wifi spots.
    I understand that from the moment I plug this usb stick to mbp, it is a matter of osx settings to go somewhere in the settings and select the usb stick as the preferred hardware for wireless internet connection.
    How can I do it?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can turn Airport off in System Preferences>Network. I assume that the usb device is going to come with some software, because until you install something, it sure isn't gonna show up in system prefs.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Usb stick has no software.
    It does not need to.
    I tried to scan for networks in the past and the application used it without problems.

If this will not be shown in system preferences, I suppose that I have to use a third party application, to be able to connect using usb stick?
    Can you suggest me one?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Can't you select it in finder?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Is this USB stick actually a wireless adapter, or does it allow you to get internet access through mobile broadband, i.e. a 3G/4G cellular network adapter? What brand is it for that matter? Most wifi/broadband adapters require some type of driver/management software to be installed.