Connect Xbox 360 and Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Holmes89, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I am on a network where I am not allowed to use a router. However I am allowed to share my internet connection to my Xbox 360. I have a Macbook and I was able to share my internet connection in Windows by just selecting my ethernet port and sharing it with my USB ethernet dongle. I know how to do this in windows but don't know how to do it in OS X. How do I share my connection (I have tried the sharing in the preferences panel) and assign an IP to my Xbox through my Mac? Thanks in advance.

2. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign

Try this.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304&query=xbox+360

I know, for one I have a static IP address for my mac.

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Okay I'll try it, the only thing is I can't find /etc/bootpd.plist any ideas?

4. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign

also, are you on a school network? something that you plug yourself into a wall jack? If so, I think the dhcp thing might work. I know, when I was in college I would cheat the system and register devices with new Mac Addresses so I could use my 360 on the school network. Samething with a router, I needed to fool the system and register a mac address for the router to use.

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It's a hidden file, you won't see it in Finder - hence the Terminal commands.

You can grab Textmate if you haven't already and use that to locate and edit the file in a nice Mac OS way instead of the terminal.

I used this technique in my last flat, as our internet connection's DHCP was served by OS X 10.4 Server, and the 360 didn't see it with the default threshold. It solves any issues very well :)

...of course this is all done after turing internet sharing on in the Sharing pane of System Preferences.

6. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign

on the finder, press command + g. A window will pop up. type /etc/. It will bring you to the hidden directory of etc. inside there you will find bootpd.plist. open that up with text edit and edit the lines it says to edit in the tutorial.

7. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

I used the terminal commands and it says the file does not exist. Any ideas? Internet sharing is on.

8. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign

rrr, i meant command + shift + g on your desktop in finder. Are you using leopard?

9. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Yes I am running leopard let me try that.

10. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

I went to the /etc/ folder and still can't find the file. I also tried */bootpd.plist in the terminal to see if I could find it but it appears the file does not exist on my computer.

11. bflowers macrumors 6502a

you haven't clarified, are you on a school network? otherwise, what is the reason you cannot use a router? What about a simple 4 port switch? Most routers are going to want to maintain a connection to an outside world, where a switch just routes traffic.

12. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Oh yes, sorry, I am at college and unfortunately am not allowed any router that could configure the network in anyway. This is sort of a roundabout way which I am allowed to do.

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Plugging in a switch would fall under the rules. They're dumb devices and wouldn't configure anything.

It'd be easier too.

Which version of Mac OS are you running?

14. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

But I already have this usb ethernet dongle so I would like to use it. I'm using Leopard.

15. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign

try this

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11840416

See if you can find anythin gin this post to use the router with your xbox.

16. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

I don't have a router I have an usb ethernet adapter that plugs into my usb port creating an extra ethernet port. I would like to use it because it works with windows so there must be a way for it to work on the mac.

17. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign