Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I just made the switch to mac by getting a 15 inch i5 MacBook Pro and I want to transfer documents from my PC to my mac so I can get rid of it! I have tried every guide and tutorial I could find. I just can't get it to work. I tried it with a workgroup (yes, I changed the name from mshome to workgroup), I tried it with a local network connection, nothing worked. I have a few ethernet cables that I used to connect the two computers, and I noticed that just by changing the cables, I get different results.

After sharing the folder I want on my PC, and going through all the guides, I tried to connect from my Mac. With one of the cables, the Mac said the ethernet cable is not connected, and it couldn't find anything (didn't even start to search) when I told it to connect (using both smb://DNSname/ShareName and smb://IPaddress/ShareName). With the other cable, it said something about being partially connected and when I told it to connect, it actually searched for about a minute, then said it couldn't find anything.

I just don't know what to try anymore. Hopefully someone here can help me, otherwise I'll have to go buy an external drive. The reason I don't want to do that is because I was hoping I could easily connect to the old computer and use it as an external hard drive.
Here's what I have
  • Dell Dimension 9150 running Windows XP media center edition version 2002 with service pack 3
  • MacBook Pro 15 inch core i5, running OS X 10.6.3
  • Different ethernet cables that I used to connect to the internet, which I use to connect the two computers
  • I also have one of those boxes for VoIP telephony, that I use to connect to the internet through, and to connect the home phone through. It has three hubs but I don't know if I can connect two computers to each other through it
Please, I would really appreciate your help! Thanks you!

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks, but I managed to do it the other way. What it took was a third cable (still doesn't work with the other two) and opening port 445 in Norton Firewall, that kicked in when I turned off the Windows firewall. Phew..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.