Connect360 Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Josh396, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I've recently ran into a bit of trouble with Connect360. I got a new external HD for Christmas so I could store all of my music and videos on one hard drive instead of spliting it in two. After moving my iTunes library over to my external, Connect360 is no longer able to see my library. I've tried following the steps on their FAQ guide with no luck. I've also tried emailing them but I am yet to receive a response back from them. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've tried removing Connect360 and reinstalling it but that doesn't seem to work either. Is there some file that I should remove with Connect360 that may save information about where the library is located or no?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you tried removing and re-installing it?

EDIT: OK, now I've seen your edit...

3. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Still haven't found a fix for the problem, does anyone know if I'm supposed to copy some iTunes files to the default music folder or possibly remove something from its current location?

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you moved your iTunes Library using iTunes so it sees it and works fine, there should be no issues. I play music from my library (which lives on an external HD) using Connect360 on my Xbox all the time.

5. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

I don't have any problems accessing my iTunes library on my iMac. I'm currently listening to my music stored on my external with no problems whatsoever, even my AppleTV works the way it should. The only problem I'm having is with Connect360 saying it cannot find my library.

6. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Still having no luck with the support from Nullriver after emailing them a few times. Does anyone know which folder is supposed to be used as the alias? I've tried the iTunes Music folder which contains everything and then just the folder that contains the actual music. Thanks in advance.

7. danlawrence1976 macrumors newbie

Response from NullRiver and how to make it work

I got a response from NullRiver (same day too so maybe they are improving)

"our app expects these files:
    '/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml'
    '/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library'

in future versions we'll be able to find where iTunes is really putting it, for now its dumb, and expects it to be in the default location.

You can create an alias to your "iTunes Library.xml" file and place it in your /Users/USERNAME/Music/iTunes folder and then rename it to "iTunes Music Library.xml" if that doesn't work, keep reading:..."

It then continued to describe various ways to ensure that the iTunes Library.xml was the one that iTunes was actually using.

I opted for a simpler option in the end of aliasing /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Music/iTunes to my new folder location which means Connect360 will find both files in the right location and it's all working again.

Hopefully this will help someone else out with the same issue.

8. lithium06 macrumors newbie

i also have migrated my itunes library to an external usb hard drive and had this problem with connect360 not able to find it. So to fix this i created 2 symbolic links.

#ln -s /Volumes/USB_External/iTunes/iTunes\ Music\ Library.xml /Users/<my_username>/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music\ Library.xml

and

#ln -s /Volumes/USB_External/iTunes/iTunes\ Library /Users/<my_username>/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Library

and restarted connect360 and it worked.

i'm guessing the alias does the same thing but i'm a linux command line guy so that's my fix.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Wait though, even if you have your iTunes music folder set to be on an external drive, iTunes still stores your Library file and XML in your ~/Music/iTunes folder. :confused: At least, that's how it has always behaved for me.

10. lithium06 macrumors newbie

I dont think those files were still there for me. if they were i deleted them i guess. i followed a how-to online for moving my library to an external HD and then when i started up iTunes the 1st time after moving it i held down option key to choose where my new library files were.

so now the only files i have in my ~/Music/iTunes/ folder are the 2 symbolic links. both itunes and connect360 work with my setup.