Connected confusion.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pyro-pinky, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Pyro-pinky macrumors member

Hello every one. I'm sure your all as excited as I am and know this next week will fly by for us in the 24:4-eternity window. I figured I would ask if anyone else fears what I do which is connected confusion. I'm new to the smart watch game and watches in general tho I had a connected watch and just hated the size and system it used. To the point when ever my connected watch would vibrate I would instinctively would reach for my phone without checking the watch to see if it was even worth the effort. I know I'll do this as well as grab my phone for a time check constantly for the first week or so. Does anyone else feel the same?

2. macboyfan macrumors member

Hmm good point. I've thought about that, too. I'll probably look at my Watch more often just because my phone (6 Plus) is usually stuck in my pocket, and I'm too lazy to dig it out... Haha.

3. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Here's the deal. The Apple Watch is a piece of technology, just like our iPhones and iPads and computers. The key with any of this technology is this:

1. People come first. Don't be the d*ck who buries his face in his phone/watch just because it beeps or vibrates. The most likely scenario is that it's not important. But, in the event that it is...
    2. Take the time to learn to use the technology. Learn what it's capable of. Learn how to get notified of important things (a short list of VIPs or apps that notify you of mission-critical information). Not everyone you know is VIP. Not every tweet or Facebook comment is important (most aren't, unless you're a social media manager for a large corporation). And they will still be there later when you can read it without being dismissive or rude to a real human being in front of you.
    3. None of us (myself included) are as important as we think we are. I am proud of the work I do, but if I got hit by a bus tomorrow the world would go on. My team would continue to do amazing work without me.

Figure out how to integrate technology so that it enhances your life, not interrupts it. It will take some time and trial and error. But find the balance.