Connected Time Capsule to D-Link router, not happy EDIT: FIXED!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by M. Malone, Mar 30, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello,

I have a D-Link ADSL Modem/Router connected to Time Capsule, and it seems the D Link is doing the routing and making life difficult.

The reason I bought the Time Capsule (other than the hard drive) is to have a painless experience on Mac OS X, but what's happening is that I can't video chat on iChat because the D-Link seems to have blocked some ports, MSN on Adium also does not work and I'm sure it's cause of the D Link.

Is there anyway to shut the routing capabilities of the d-link and only use it as a modem? I want to rout everything through Time Capsule.

thanks

2. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

I thought Time Capsule was a router AND a mass storage, combined?

Disconnect the D-Link, plug the modem cable right into Time Capsule and reconfigure the wireless settings using only the Time Capsule.

It defeats the purpose of getting a Time Capsule if you're just going to chain an extra router to it.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

But I can't get rid of the router cause it's a combo with ADSL modem

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Is there any way to turn off the router feature in that? Turn it into a bridge or something? One thing you can do is turn off the NAT protocol and turn off DHCP (turn it into bridge mode). Or you can assign DMZ access for the Time Capsule (make it the default host). Then set up the Time Capsule as if it's the only router.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Or

Or you can just tell time capsule to not use DHCP and NAT, effectively turning it into a wireless access point and NAS.

The forward the correct ports from the D-Link and you're set.

6. katorga macrumors regular

set TC to bridge mode?

If the TC works like the AEBS, you can set the unit into bridge mode, and let the d-link do all of the routing.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, you can do it the other way around. But I like the AirPort Utility's interface better, and would rather have it do the routing.

Up to you, really.

8. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Well, non of the solutions worked, so I ditched the D-Link for a SpeedTouch modem only (no router) I can't believe this, my internet experience is actually faster, I can now use Adium MSN with no issue, I can actually video chat where I can make out who the person is on the video!!! :D