Connected to Shared Unknown PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rl0926dawny, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rl0926dawny macrumors newbie

Hi to all,

I have one quick question. Please bare with me,I am very mac illiterate lol.
    I was just online and was wondering if anyone could tell me what does this mean. I have attached the screen shot. It says I was connected to a PC as a guest. This is the first time seeing that shared file name. Well,I saw it last night as well for the first time when I was connected to my wi-fi. All of my sharing settings are OFF,does this mean I was hacked? Should I reformat my mac? Or reset the password/replace my wifi? My wifi is password protected,does that mean someone hacked into my wifi and is using it? This all follows up to when I was recently( 2 weeks ago)hacked on my Xbox live account. I don't know if this all connected? (same hacker maybe IF I was hacked at all on my mac?) Thank you in advance if anyone can help.

[​IMG]

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Do you have an HP printer connected to your network? If so, I'd bet anything that is what you're looking at.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If you click on a computer in your network your mac will automatically try to connect to it. So that you got connected as a guest account isn't that weird. Especially since a guest account (most of the times) can't do anything. And you're logging in to this computer. This computer did not connect to your computer as guest. You started the connection.

About the computer, maybe it's a computer that's connected directly to the router (not on wifi).

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

What Arjen92 said. The "Shared" section of the Finder window doesn't show what you're connected to necessarily, it shows you what remote devices are out there on your network. When you clicked on that "hpe" one, your Mac attempted to connect to it.

5. rl0926dawny thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

So sorry for the late response. I had a hard time connecting back to my wifi yesterday:(. and LOL. you are right on the money! It was my hp printer. Thank you so much! I was so worried.

----------

Hi,

I noticed it RANDOMLY was connected without me clicking on it. I didn't notice it until a 2 days ago. But Stooby was right. It was my HP printer. I shut it off and on and it disconnected and was removed in my shared files. Thank you for the quick response and the help! It is gladly appreciated it! :)

----------

TThank you for breaking it down for me and the help. It turns out it was my hp printer on my network. Thank you once again!:)

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I'll blown your mind. ;)

With that 'networked' printer, find out that printer's IP address. Then just plug that IP address in your favorite browser and go to your printer's wiki configuration page.

7. immobilus macrumors member

To be more specific, you have an HP printer that is not only connected to your network, but connected to your computer through it. That's how you scan documents and images directly to your desktop or email. If you turn off the scanning feature in your desktop controls, it will disconnect from your Mac but still be connected to the network.

I have the same thing in my shared folder.