Connected to Wifi but no internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LaninaZA, Mar 31, 2018.

1. LaninaZA macrumors newbie

hi everyone, I'm new her and wondering if someone can please help me.

When I am at work out at sea we use the wifi on board for internet connections. I have never had any issues with getting online with any of my devices, as well as my MacBook Air. I arrived back here two days ago and I have no issues connecting to the network and Internet with my mobile phone and my iPad but for some or other reason I can get onto the network with my Mac but get no internet access, but if I start up in recovery mode I can access the Internet. Here are a few things I have tried to no avail.

• Rebooted computer numerous times
    • Forgotten network and rebooted
    • Tried using various Internet browsers like Mozilla, Safari and chrome
    • Disconnected my VPN
    • Started in recovery mode and once in safari I can access the Internet.
    • Tried to connect through my seagate wifi hard drive as a hotspot.
    I am not the most clued up on computers so not sure what else to try, I would really appreciate any help from anyone. I originally thought that the server might have blocked my I.P address after using a VPN in the past but if it was blocked then how do I access it in recovery mode then?

2. bfresh_8 macrumors newbie

try finding out what the DNS entries are on the boat using DHCP (system preferences->network>select WIFI->advanced->DNS>. You could always try hard coding your DHCP address/DNS servers and see if that makes a difference. OPEN TERMINAL and try to PING your default gateway, DNS servers. If you can't PING either - bigger problems.

3. LaninaZA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply but this is all a bit Greek to me unfortunately.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If this used to work and all of a sudden doesn't, well somebody did something. Speak to person who setup this WIFI/LAN. If unable to look under the hood yourself well I guess u gotta call somebody/professionals.

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

I've found that deleting "Wi-Fi" in System Preferences-Network fixes a lot of problems. Then you can set wireless up from scratch.

Next to try would be to remove the VPN software as some has been known to corrupt TCP/IP even when not running.