Connected to WiFi or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eusebius, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Eusebius, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Eusebius macrumors member

Last week I took my iphone for the first time on a trip abroad. In Istanbul the phone showed I was logged onto the airport's free WiFi network: it was checked in the WiFi settings and the menu bar at the top of the screen showed three nice bold waves. But when I wanted Safari to open a web page, Safari notified that it couldn't access the internet. Why not? The phone showed I was logged into the airport's WiFi! This situation -- the phone showing it was logged into a WiFi network, Safari or Mail claiming lack of access to the internet -- happened several times during my stay in Istanbul, yet at other Istanbul locations the phone was able to get through. So what's going on? Is there such a thing as a WiFi network, like the Istanbul airport's, without internet access? What would be the point of that? Or does the iphone have problems accessing certain networks?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Certainly....A WiFi connection, just means that you are connected to a access point, not the internet.
    To prevent unauthorized access to the internet. It is also possible/probable that the airports internet/ISP was having problems.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like James said you can be connected to a wifi router but the internet on it might be down. So you cant pull any data at all.
    Happens all the time with free wifi hotspots.