Connecting 2.0 Firmware to Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevemolitor, Jun 7, 2008.

1. stevemolitor macrumors newbie

What do I need to do to connect my iPhone email to the MS Exchange server at work (which is behind a firewall)? We use Good Link at work for other phones to connect. Will I be able to use Good Link with my iPhone? If not, what do I need to ask / tell our exchange admin? We use Juniper's Network Connect for remote VPN access.

Thanks.

Steve

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Any ports related to Exchange ActiveSync need to be open to the outside on your firewall to allow the iPhone to communicate with your Exchange 2003 or 2007 server. This is supported by Exchange server itself, no 3rd party programs or solutions needed.

Edit: Mobile sync also needs to be enabled on any accounts you wish to use with the iPhone. You can enable this from the Exchange tools portion of Active Directory.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

Already a question on how to use the 2.0 firmware and it hasn't been released yet. But yeah what PoitNarf said is what you will need to do. :)

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Both participants of the iPhone Developer beta and Enterprise beta received the same firmware versions for testing. All beta firmware released has included Exchange support.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Doesn't hurt to be prepared. I'm sure there will be a couple impatient CEOs and other executives that want to use the iPhone with their Exchange servers asap and want their IT departments to be ready to go.

6. danielforman macrumors regular

I edited my post when I saw your reply as you knew the answer. But thanks also for that as I have not looked in the beta firmwares but I will know for future. I have only a small knowledge on Exchange and how it works and without looking at the beta firmwares I couldn't say for certain how it would work for the iPhone. Would rather let someone who knows for certain the answer rather than start guessing.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No problem ;)