Connecting 2 DELL Monitors on a DELL Molex splitter to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mjhinnant, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mjhinnant macrumors newbie

Hello,

Long time reader but seldom poster.

Thanks to all of you who post. I have learned so much over the years.

I am now in need of some knowledge. I am trying to make the best of what I have for as little as possible. I have a macbook pro running 10.6.8 and my employer let me have 2 DELL monitors on a DELL molex splitter.

What I tried is a series of inexpensive adapters to connect the macbook to the monitors:

mini port to DVI-D to DVI-D TO DVI-I and then a DVI-I to 2 vga ends that connect to the splitter

The Macbook sees the monitors and they show in preferences correctly, but nothing shows on the 2 DELL screens.

What may be the cause of why the monitors are not working?

Do I need to update drivers or anything for the monitors?

Should or can this work as all the connections do match up?

Answers are really welcomed as I have a new client that requires I use the Macbook so I have to get this working.

Thanks!

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

First of all, there are no drivers for monitors-they either work or they don't. The fact that the Mac can see them means at least the communication is going to the mac.

A couple of questions
    To make sure that the adapter actually works, can you verify that a single monitor to laptop works?

Also-when you say Mini port, do you mean mini DisplayPort or mini DVI? Both have been used by Apple

3. mjhinnant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the real reply.

It has the Mini DisplayPort.

I cannot verify any monitors, as to attach any monitor would take a specific adapter for the Mini DisplayPort.

I suppose the most likely problem is the DVI-I to VGA splitter. Someone told me you have to use the more expensive devices that force the data?

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

More expensive adapters are never better-google "Monster Cables worth it?" and you will see hundreds of people saying that a $2 HDMI cable works just as wel as a $79 one.

If you have a Mni DisplayPort to DVI, then that should work to test a single monitor.

Are you saying that this particular Dell monitor doesn't have a native DVI/VGA port? What model is it? I have never heard of or seen a Dell monitor that doesnt at least least have VGA.

5. mjhinnant thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I just have not purchased a Mini DisplayPort to VGA connecter.

Did Mini DisplayPort to DVI because had to split DVI to 2 VGA.

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

what is the model of the monitor in question-I really think that trying a direct connection to it may be worth it.

Is there any way to do this?

7. mjhinnant thread starter macrumors newbie

The monitors are Dell E177FP's.

I am sure I could get 1 to work, but since I have 2 and the splitter, I wanted to get both since it is so useful as a graphic artist to spread programs across 2 screens.

8. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the problem: Apple's adapter will put out only DVI-D, which lacks the analog signal that your DVI-I to VGA adapter will need.

Also, I'm slightly confused as to how this is set up, since it sounds like you have the VGA connected to the "output" (pigtails) end of the Dell splitter, unless I'm missing something. How do you convert it to the type of connector the splitter expects on the "input" end? (I never know what that is called, since Dells are the only place I've seen it.)

9. cuestakid macrumors 68000

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you use a splitter, it would split the connection, and you'd get the same thing on both. You'd need a USB adapter for one of them, and a direct connection for the other to have dual monitors.

11. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

That isn't the behavior of Dell's "splitters." They plug into some sort of special port that I've only seen on (optionally configured, usually business-class) Dells and effectively turn the port on the graphics card (something that looks vaguely like DVI but with many more pins and greater density) into either two VGA or two DVI ports with the "pigtail" (splitter) adapter this poster is mentioning.

It's not really a signal splitter, it's literally like having two DVI or VGA ports on your graphics card. You just need the adapter for some reason to do it--even if you only have one display.

Never heard of anyone using it on the Mac, and I honestly doubt it would work except maybe on a Mac Pro where you could get the graphics card with the special port installed, though even then I doubt there'd be drivers.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

That's a dongle, not a splitter.

That is also computer-specific, and probably wouldn't work on a Mac.

13. cuestakid macrumors 68000

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

That wouldn't work with an MBP, they don't have that type of capability. They would need an external USB graphics card, or else a pair of the 27" Apple Thunderbolt displays.

15. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

That's why I'm confused: the OP seems to already somehow have it connected. I can only assume that the DMS-59 type is the one he is talking about, as that is what I'm familiar with from the Dell type he's referencing. OP, you still around? I'm really curious. :)

Also, I stole "splitter" from the OP, but "dongle" is still a generic term. ;) (And it often refers to something else. I've heard these things called "pigtail" or "adapter cables," myself.)