Connecting 2 DVI Screens on a MD387LL/A Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by fskywalker, Feb 17, 2013.

1. fskywalker, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Hi, One of my 2 home's Windows based desktops recently died and am considering to purchase an Mac Desktop as a replacement. I'm considering a MD387LL/A Mac Mini as the replacement and re-use my two Samsung 16 inch monitors, but have 2 questions:

[​IMG]

1- Looking at the rear panel of the Mac Mini I understand the supplied video adapter would go on the HDMI port. Can I get the second DVI output from the thunderbolt port?

2- I have a 256GB SSD from my Retina MacBook Pro on an external enclosure since swap it with a bigger (512GB) unit shortly after I purchased the laptop. Can I somehow install it on the Mac Mini? I noticed there ia an option for an SSD from Apple but wonder what is the connector would need to adapt it.

Thanks,

Francisco

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, the TB port can be used with a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.
    It will not fit, as it is a custom made SSD in the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, the Mac mini (Mm) uses a 2.5" SSD.
    Did you not get an enclosure from OWC/MacSales for the flash storage module you have taken out of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

3. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I did not bought the OWC SSD, but rather the OEM 512GB SSD pulled out from a rMBP and did not bought their enclosure neither. I do have the adapter from the Apple custom connector to the standard connector used by regular SSD's and a USB 3.0 case with adapter as well. From what you wrote guess already have the adapter I need.

4. Giuly, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]

If you have the whole shebang with the 2.5" enclosure, it surely works. If you only have the board, then not so much.

5. fskywalker, Feb 18, 2013

fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

This is what I have:

[​IMG]

I think mine should work, but thanks for the info! What speed are you getting out of the OEM SSD with that enclosure? I wonder how does it compare with its use directly without an adapter.

This is the speed I got from the 256GB SSD when it was still installed in the rMBP:

[​IMG]

This is how the speed dropped when I installed it on the USB 3.0 enclosure with the adapter shown above:

[​IMG]

Thanks

6. Giuly, Feb 18, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Yes, it does work electrically, but you will have to use duct tape or zip ties to mount it inside the Mac Mini.

It's as fast, because it's just a different plug.

7. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Do you mind running the Black Magic test on yours and shring an image of the results here? I think there will be some degradation on the conversion circuit from one connector style to the other one, many circuits today are build in China to sub quality standards (like mine :( ) and want to avoid this to happen again.

Thanks

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

There is no conversion, it's just a piece of wire (Plus a MOSFET and four capacitors for the power supply).

The speed drops in your USB 3.0 enclosure because the enclosure itself is subpar Chinese quality and uses a slow chipset.

9. fskywalker, Feb 18, 2013

fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

That figures, thanks.

Still would like to see a speed test; had someone else here done such conversion?

10. Giuly, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

All I can tell you is that your enclosure runs at SATA-I speed, USB 3.0 tops out at ~330MB/s and that you need a Thunderbolt adapter if you want to run it at full speed.