Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrCide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Me and the girlfriend have iMacs (early 2009 27" and 2007 24") and I'd like to connect them for simple/regular file transfers. Everything I search for just seems to come up with using Migration assistant for a new computer and such so sorry for the question if it's been asked often.

Reason I want to this is because for some reason trying to transfer files over wireless network (use a pre 2009 time capsule) is just failing and I can't figure out why. When I start a transfer it crawls then just stops/fails, during which internet becomes unusable and I sometimes have to power cycle the TC because wireless stops working completely.. happens with both FTP and AFP(?). I've lost my patience in trying to figure out what the issue there is, besides they're right next to each other and firewire should be pretty peppy (I'd settle for ethernet to ethernet too).

I'm also a bit flakey on the current firewire standards/connectors apple is using so perhaps someone can point me to the right cable/instructions (and if I'll need any additional setup for it to work).

Thanks in advance..

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Connect the firewire ports and reboot the computer, holding down the "T" key immediately. This boots up the computer into what is known as Target Disc Mode.

mrCide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
"When a Mac that supports Target Disk Mode[1] is booted with the 'T' key held down, its operating system does not load. Instead, its firmware enables the computer's drives to behave as FireWire mass storage devices."

This is not what I want. I want the computers to be operating normally but able to connect peer to peer for file sharing without using the WAN. Is this possible with firewire? Or is there another proper method. Thanks for the replies btw.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I would just set up a mini network via a LAN cable and share the folders you require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.