Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
I received my new iMac yesterday and I have time today to transfer files from old iMac to new iMac.

The files that I want to transfer are mainly iTunes library, iPhoto library, and Quicken data files.

I have never done this before so I did a google search and it seems the instructions are pretty easy. Except I am having a problem.

1. Connect the 2 computers via firewire (done)
2. On old iMac, reboot while holding done 'T' button until you get a grey screen with a large firewire icon on the screen (done)
3. You will see the old iMac show as a new hard disc on the new iMac (THIS DOES NOT SHOW UP FOR ME)

I pulled up disc utility to see if I could see the old iMac that way but no luck.

I would think that I had something wrong except Migration Assistant program works just fine and data was transfered easily. (side note: why is iTunes and iPhoto library transfers not part of Migration. Seems it should be to me).

Old iMac is running Tiger and new iMac is running Leopard but I doubt that is an issue.

Can anyone offer a helping hand on what I am doing wrong??

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Try plugging the firewire cord in after you have the computer booted in target disk mode. Also, itunes and iphoto library is part of migration assistant unless you have them off in some weird spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.