Connecting 24' Imac to new LED...Possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Knightsridge, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Knightsridge macrumors newbie

I bought a 24' Imac about a month ago. It is fantastic and beyond amazing. That being said, I was looking at the new LED cinema displays on the apple store online and they look pretty sweet too.

If I was to buy one, am I able to connect the two so I have dual monitors for my Imac?

I looked online, but I got a bit confused with dvi ouputs etc etc.

Can this be done?

Cheers
    -K

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The new LED Cinema Display utilizes Apple's new Mini DisplayPort exclusively, which only the new MacBook/MBP/Air have, so for now the answer is unfortunately no. I don't think that'll be true for long, though; usually someone eventually produces an adapter cable for retrofitting. And the next time the iMac is refreshed, it'll likely have a Mini DisplayPort for video connectivity.

3. Knightsridge thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

So you are telling me that it does not have a DVI input at all? NOW that is retarded especially if they want artists to use it, I guess they will all have to buy new computers, sounds like Apple to me tbh.

An adapter is sure to be included with the monitor, I will bet money on it.

5. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I think it will look pretty sweet next to an iMac....there better be an adapter

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Not possible.

Look into the company that uses USB module to output 1920x1200. Obviously you will lose iSight and Audio functions.

7. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

So yes, in theory, a DVI display can be connected to a DVI out via a smart cable (i.e. a cable that contains something to convert digital DVI signals to digital DisplayPort signals)

8. ADent macrumors 6502a

Nobody, on the day the display was shipped, makes any adapter to hook up the new Cinema displays to any DVI or VGA computer. DisplayPort computers only.

I would think somebody is working on such an adapter though.