Connecting 3 monitors to laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boba7523, May 14, 2011.

1. boba7523, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

boba7523 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I have a Macbook Pro but would like to connect my Thinkpad laptop to 3 monitors but not sure what to buy and the least expensive way of connecting. Can anyone please give me a helping hand? The monitors are VGA LCD monitors and the Thinkpad also has VGA. Thanks :)

Edit: i forgot to mention I have a Thinkpad T60 and it uses an Intel graphics card... I'm not sure if connecting 3 monitors would require the purchase of a new graphics card in addition to the "multi VGA connector"?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You're not going to get much help with a Thinkpad on an Apple hardware forum.

As to the question, a notebook computer is not designed to run 3 displays. It's designed to run at best two, with one being the notebook's built in display.

You'll need something like the Matrox TripleHead2Go to run three externals, but each monitor will be limited to 1280x1024 resolution. Expect to spend about $300 for the TripleHead.

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

T60 is about 4 years old isn't it? Many newer Thinkpads have multiple Video Outs - such as DisplayPort + HDMI, or HDMI + DVI - but I think the T60 would have only had one. The Matrox TripleHeadToGo perviously mentioned is an option. You could also get a couple of USB Video Adapters. Finally, some docking stations support at least 2 monitors in addition to the laptop's screen, and some even include a PCI slot that could house an additional video card. You may have trouble finding a docking station for the T60 at this point.