Connecting a 1080p monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Duntay, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Duntay macrumors newbie

Duntay

Hello,

I've connected my 13' air to a 1920x1080 monitor via lighting>vga. When I go into display setting in system preference the display can only scale to 1280x1024 or 800x600. I know the air doesn't natively display 1080 but is it possible to output 1080 to my monitor?

Thanks in advance.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Maybe on old dvi-d monitors, but vga? maybe apple decided to not support it because above 1280 there's a chance it doesn't really stay good quality.

Did you try the option key trick to show all resolutions?

"Under the 'Display' tab, hold down the OPTION / ALT key while you press on the 'Scaled' button alongside Resolution to reveal all available screen resolution options for the display."

3. Duntay thread starter macrumors newbie

Duntay

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't know that trick, it revealed 1080 option and it looks significantly better. However it only uses 80-90% of the screen width.

Thanks for the help!

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

VGA is basically analogue.
    dvi is the next step, dvi-d being the best of the two dvi options.
    then up from that is the hdmi/displayport/thunderbolt,usb-c stuff.
    I guess the best possible 5k solution you can get is at the top, those dell monitors on 2x display port cables (and otherwise it's a 4k)

VGA is way way old, those monitors can be replaced with a really high resolution 24" computer monitor that's nice and flat, has extra ports, etc. For like 150 to 300 bucks. Not only do you deal with a full digital and better colour setup, the response and latency etc is all a lot better, less flicker due to higher refresh rates, and the screen looks so much better because of the dpi probably being a lot better making for a sharper and nicer looking image.

You have a modern laptop, it doesn't heart to compliment it with a modern monitor. I have 2x 20" dell monitors left over here on dvi-d and i stopped using them, compared to what my iMac was giving me (before their 5k ones) and it seems most cheap 24" ones I see now are just soooo much better quality.

Just mentioning it, maybe worth to consider. Their prices really have dropped.

5. Duntay thread starter macrumors newbie

Duntay

Good point, thanks.

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I just checked a Dutch pricewatch site which links loads of stores, and saw the Iiyama G-Master GE2788HS-B1 at 27" with tn/1ms on dvi-d/hdmi/vga for 199 euro, so probably from a respectable store for 250, including shipping. That's in euro.

And Iiyama ProLite XUB2490HS-B1 24" with ah-ips/5ms on displayport/dvi-d/hdmi for 185 euro, so probably below 250 from respectable store.

That's kinda crazy, maybe I will actually get that 27" one as a second monitor to my new iMac, as a birthday gift to myself in January when I turn 40 :)