Connecting a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo white MacBook to TV using Svideo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by halfwayquiet, Apr 29, 2010.

1. halfwayquiet macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a dongle to connect my 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo white MacBook to the S-video in my Sony TV.
    http://store.apple.com/nz/product/M9319G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU1MTE&s=topSellers

When I got it home it didn't work. I went online only to find that my model of laptop is not able to use this dongle.

So my question is - how would I connect my macbook to the S Video in of my TV?

I'm thinking I'll need to use the Mini DVI to VGA dongle (http://store.apple.com/nz/product/M9320G/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY) and then use something else to convert it to S-Video.
    Anyone got any (cheap) ideas?

Thanks.

2. Sir Lorad macrumors member

You won't be able to use S-video with your macbook, since the signal of the macbook's Mini DisplayPort is digital and S-video is analog.

3. halfwayquiet thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Sure you can. I am pretty sure you have the exact same macbook as me and I do it all the time. Unfortunately I don't know terms, but we have a connector that connects from the DVI port to the type of connection that you have three plugs on the tv (one for video and two for audio). It connects jsut to the video part of the connection. And then we have a cable that has a headset type plug that goes into the headphones of my laptop and the other connector connects to the two audio connections on the tv.

And we used to have a way to put the sound through the sound system my roommate had set up but the sound system broke so we just use the tv's speakers directly.

Oh, and the converter from the mini-dvi to whatever port you call that on the tv cost all of 30 bux I think. So not too expensive (no idea what the sound cable cost, that was something my roommate already had around the house).

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys