Connecting a 2007 model to a TV?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by stanw, Jul 19, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I have a Mini from about 2007.

1. What type of adapter do I need to connect it to a 30 inch TV via HDMI?
    2. If I have other devices connected to the TV like a Directv box, would I switch the TV inputs to go back and forth from the Directv to the Mac? Is that how connecting a Mac to a TV will work?

Thanks.

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Cool, I have my 2007 Mini connected to my 30 inch TV. :)

The 2007 Mini has a single DVI port for video output. So, you'll need a standard DVI to HDMI adapter (or a DVI to HDMI cord). Here are some links to examples I randomly pulled off of Amazon:

An adapter

A cord

Yes! You can treat the Mini like any other video device, as if it were just another Blu-ray or DVD player. The TV won't know the difference.

3. Celerondon, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Connect your mini's DVI-I port to the HDMI port on the TV with an adapter cable or an adapter plus a cable. The DVI port is the rectangular middle one on the rear of your mini. Amazon has plenty of cables for less than $10.

mini rear.jpg Amazon Cable.jpg

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much guys! I just ordered a 3ft one.

5. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

what about audio? to my knowledge a 2007 will not pass digital audio via DVI/HDMI. You'll need a seperate optical or analog cable to hook it up to your tv/receiver, if you dont already have a cable run for that.

monoprice makes joiners and splitters to combine DVI & digital audio signals into an HDMI cable or vice-versa.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

kwikdeth is correct - you also need to connect a separate audio cable between the Mini and TV