Connecting a 23" Apple Cinema Display to a PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gpotz, Sep 4, 2010.

1. gpotz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a 23" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200) to a PS3. The Cinema Display is one of the older models, and it only has ADC. However, I've heard of switchers such as the Gefen HD Mate that would make this possible. These are hard to find now (and if they are available, they're ridiculously expensive). Are there any other ways to make this work?

Thanks.

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Those older displays lack HDCP (required by the PS3 when using HDMI output), and they might not be recognized by the PS3 with an HDMI adapter anyway, especially with ADC.

Using an Gefen HD Mate should work fine though, you connect the PS3 up using component, and then plug the display in through the DVI port on the scaler (using an ADC to DVI adapter).

3. gpotz thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a cheaper method than paying $300 for the HD Mate? I was hoping I would be able to use 1080p with my monitor, especially for Blu-ray.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Sadly there is not a lot of options for that. Even if you were to use an HD Mate Scaler (I have one) with the PS3 (which I also have) the results of running 1080p over component are not very impressive at all. The text has ghosting and I tried everything to get rid of it. With 1080i there is no ghosting on the text, but then motion causes ghosting. The most optimum way to do 1080p with the PS3 is to use HDMI, and you need an HDCP display to do that.

Now I am going to sell my HD Mate Scaler and my 23" ACD and buy the new 27" Apple LED display when it comes out. I figure after a month or so I will see how the compatibility of the HDMI to MDP boxes are for the 27" and see if any cheap ones work nicely with the PS3.

Trust me, I sympathize with your situation, but at the end of the day the best solution is to just buy a display that has an HDMI input. The only reason I am going with the 27" LED is because I like the slim design and the high resolution output.