Connecting a 2Wire 2700HG modem with Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jc0481, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I currently have Qwest DSL and have the 2wire 2700 hg modem. I have attached the picture of it. I currently have a Windows XP computer that is now a 2 1/2 year old computer (blah it was a hand me down). The Windows XP PC is currently hard-wired to the modem. I now have the 802.11n version of the AEBS. This is going to be used for my current Macbook. I have an office downstairs so I will be doing wirelessly. I want to use the 802.11n only option with my Macbook. Also another reason I want to disable the 2wire built in wireless feature and have it replaced by the AEBS is because Qwest is not doing anymore firmware upgrades for the 2wire 2700HG modem. By the way, my family sometimes visit and use 802.11g only on the devices they use. I know AEBS supports that. I just hope 2wire wireless feature can be disabled without no issues. These are the things I am wondering:

1. Has anybody run a similar setup to mine? Any things I should consider? Any pros or cons?

2. Should I turn off the 2wire modem firewall and turn on the firewall option on the Airport Extreme base station or vice versa?

3. Should I leave alone the NAT feature on the modem be left alone?

4. Does this kind of setup have to be run in "bridged" mode?

That's all the questions I have for now. I hope someone can help with this. I looked and looked for a similar question to these questions but could not find a recent forum post to mine.

JC0481

Attached Files:

2. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same setup.

1) No cons I can think of/know of. Works great.

2) I left the firewall on with the 2wire. It doesn't intrude at all.

3) Yes.

4) I have mine in bridged mode. Recently, I turned back on the wireless with the 2wire so I can use my iPhone and Xbox360. In 'N' only, those devices won't work. So, my 2wire runs any G devices and then the AEBS in 'N' mode handles everything N, at N speeds. Works great.

3. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your reply....just one more question

Would it just be better if I disable the wireless feature on the 2wire modem and just use Airport Extreme base station with 802.11g and 802.11n wireless?
    Thanks again

JC0481