connecting a cinema display to a macbookpro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shaktimage, Sep 14, 2009.

1. shaktimage macrumors member

Hi, i am using a 23" cinema display as my main screen connected to my mac book pro. It is working fine but i was wondering if i could remove the usb connection leaving only the DVI connection and the Firewire connection. (so i have one more usb port to plug stuff) I know for an ipod both were provided in case you don't have a firewire in your laptop when only 1 is needed. Is it the same? As from bad luck past experience i won't try unless someone tells me it is fine:cool:...Thanks!

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

You don't need the USB connected unless you wish to use the display's iSight, mic, and speakers.
    And the extra USB ports on the Cinema Display.
    With the display plugged in via USB you should end up with 4 open USB ports, unless I'm misunderstanding which model you have.

3. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

my display is a 2005 model, no camera nor speakers. However i do use the 2 usb ports on the display. So if the firewire cable from the display is connected to the macbook pro, would it be enough ok for the display and to power the usb plugs on the display?

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

The USB ports will still work for powering and recharging. I've never tried syncing through a combination of Firewire and USB.
    (other than the obvious Target Mode when the mouse and keyboard on one work on the the other)