Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazypilot48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'm wanting to connect my MBP to my 26" HDTV. What type of cable do i need to be able to do this? If I do this will it be just the video that comes from the TV or am I able to have the video and sound play through the TV.

MasonS247

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2006
I use a dvi to hdmi cable. The sound goes through another set of speakers I have plugged in through the audio port on the other side. I am not sure if you can get them both to go through your tv.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
Masons way would work. But if your HDTV has DVI, then that would be better.
Just for reference, there is a DVI port on the right-hand side of your pro

03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

So if you've got that on your TV, just use that.

Then for audio, there's a 3.5mm audio out port on the left-hand side of your pro next to the headphone jack. You may have a 3.5mm audio-in jack on your TV, if not you will need a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable which looks like this:

CC399-12_LR.jpg

That should be all you need! If you have a receiver, then plug the RCA cable into there.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
DVI and HDMI are exactly the same interface, but HDMI also has audio built in. However, since the Macbook Pro doesn't have HDMI, if you get a DVI-HDMI You will lose the audio anyways. Therefore DVI-DVI will be cheaper than a DVI-HDMI, and in the future if you really want you can just get a DVI-HDMI adapter, but I don't know why you'd need that, unless your HDTV does not have DVI.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
might as well get a mini optical line for the audio if you have to buy a new cable and you have a receiver with an optical in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.