Connecting a macbook pro to HD TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ubundows, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Ubundows macrumors member

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Depends. What kind fo machine do you have (i.e. details)?

3. vandlism macrumors 6502

If you have the aluminum body MacBook Pro you will need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter ($19) as well as a DVI to HDMI cable (prices vary, check monoprice.com). After that, pick yourself up an optical toslink cable to get the audio from your MBP.

If you have the new unibody MacBook Pro, you will need a mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter ($19) and the same DVI to HDMI cable. Same audio cable as above.

After you find the right cables, I suggest picking up an Apple Remote if you do not already have one. It'll let you play around with FrontRow and all that using the IR port on the front of your MBP.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

5. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

DVI doesn't carry sound?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The SR aluminum MBP has a full-sized dual-link DVI port. All one needs is DVI to HDMI (or other, depending on one's TV's inputs).

One does not require an optical cable; analog miniplug works, too.

No, it does not.

7. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

I know. I was looking for a solution with audio. And was pointing out that a DVI solution wouldn't work.

8. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Audio will have to come out separately for now, the mini-display port on the new macbooks isn't compatible with anything else at the moment other than apple's own adaptors, which don't include audio. Potentially an adaptor could be made in the future, since the displayport spec does include carrying audio and apple said it's alright for other companies to use their mini version, but that doesn't help now.

For the moment though your only option is to do it separately, fortunately little known to many(I just found out) is that you can output 5.1 dolby dts from your headphone port, because it's also a 3.5mm optical port. You just need the right adaptor and cable, and to have your settings in your apps set up properly.

Here's a tutorial:
    http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=56671

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Dolby and DTS are two different technologies, and the optical port on the Mac can deliver up to 7.1 compressed audio in these formats. That adapter you pointed it is kind of klunky when you can just get a cable with mini optical on one end and conventional Toslink on the other for about US$4. In addition, you can get 5-channel analog surround using a stereo mini-plug to RCA R and L plugs.