Connecting a MacBook to an external display really does make it seem like an iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kendo, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I bought a 27" iMac and immediately fell in love with it but found the resolution to be too high so I ended up returning it. I found that for movies or games, I had to sit far back in order to view the entire screen. But for browsing the web or using MS Word, I had to sit close. So it kinda became an epic battle of either leaning back in my chair, or sitting up close. The 21.5" iMac had a good resolution but the screen is a little small.

I ended up getting a MacBook Air and got a Dell U2412M with an IPS display for about $285 during Black Friday. After hooking it up for the first time today, the display is pretty brilliant (of course not as good as the iMac) but for such a cheap price, it is pretty amazing. Not only that but it also has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 so I get that 16:10 aspect ratio for extra vertical space and the font is much larger for viewing the web. I also added the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Magic Trackpad to complete the experience.

Anyone else compromise? Since the iMac only comes in two sizes, I find that connecting a portable Mac to a display gives you that iMac experience but gives you the freedom of whatever resolution or aspect ratio you want. The only negative is that the GPU won't be as powerful but it is a good compromise in having choice over the display, and unhooking the laptop take it on the go.

2. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

How can being further away from a small thing make it easier to see?

I dont understand your post at all. A higher res would have smaller pixels and so would require you to sit nearer.

what are you on about?

3. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

maybe with higher ressolution he means bigger screen size :confused:

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a 27" iMac and I have never even remotely felt the display is too big. I am looking forward to the day the iMac is offered with a larger, higher resolution display.

I often connect my 11" MBA to a Dell U2711 2560X1440 display at work, or an HP 30" 2560X1600 display at home. Both offer a great screen experience. However, it does not give the same experience as owning an iMac because of the extra performance offered by the iMac. The MBA/monitor combination is great for lots of tasks, but when it comes to editing large A3 libraries or video editing, then I will take the iMac every day.

I also like having the iMac on 24/7 and having my MBA sync all data back to it continuously via dropbox. That way, I always have the data I want available with me on my MBA... but any edits, or content creation I make on the go is reflected back to my iMac... and double backed-up (locally and to the cloud).

I also like having all of my peripherals attached to my iMac ready to use at any time. For example, I have my ScanSnap S1500M scanner attached ready to scan all paper as soon as it enters the house, and immediately dropped into the shredder.

/Jim

5. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about?

The 27" iMac has a 2560 x 1440 resolution so text is tiny. I have to sit close in order to browse the web. But because the size of the screen is so gigantic, when I'm playing a video game or watching a movie, I have to sit away.

6. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

right. and why are you unable to press shift, cmd + to make the text a better size? And you did say that a high res screen meant you had to sit far away, that is what bewildered me. As, obviously, a high res screen has smaller pixels so sitting nearer would be appropriate.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

I think the op is trying to drum up support for his justification for switch from an iMac to a MBP...

8. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Read the last sentence of my last post. Thanks.

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I think you're going to have people agree and disagree with your decision. But honestly, whatever you're happy with, whether it makes sense or not is all that really matters.

10. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I get it, you weighed your lovely iMac in to buy an MBP and a worse screen, and your happy. nice one. BUt small things are still easier to see when they are close.

11. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

It appears that the OP has come to the forum to gather support for his down grade

In my opinion your post makes no sense at all and probably won't to most people reading it.

If your happy then just enjoy it but don't get angry when people disagree with you... Its a forum after all

12. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

So not only did you not read the OP clearly, you provided a solution to a question that wasn't asked in the first place. Then you still did not understand the point after my second post clearly explained it and provided an insult because it is after all, my fault, that you have no reading comprehension. And the worst part is, judging by your last sentence, you STILL DON'T GET IT??? LOL I give up. Have a good day man.

13. doktordoris, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

You know what chief, I must admit I still don't get it. How can a resolution be too high? It makes no sense. I don't see people returning their new iPhones because the retina display has too many pixels. I don't understand why if the text or whatever is too small you are unable to press shift, cmd, and +, or simply unpinch on your magic trackpad or magic mouse. And my days are nearly always good, but thanks for your kind thoughts. Anyway, enjoy your slower machine and worse monitor. cheerio.

edit- I just reconsidered my post, forget everything I've written. If you are happy with your set-up I am happy for you.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Hey Kendo, I agree with you and have both a MBP and an iMac. I don't play games much, but if I am close I occasionally get that front-row effect. Not a huge problem though.

I recommend to my friends that unless they have space problems, or really need the extra speed, to get a laptop rather than the iMac.

One huge reason for this, unless your iMac is for recreational use, is that it's becoming extremely hard to replace drives in iMacs. And they fail. You can continue to use on with an external, but it's pretty lame. A user who can handle a screwdriver can replace a drive in a MBP however in a half hour.

You've also got a computer that doesn't need a UPS, is more energy efficient, and, of course, is portable. It's slower, but most people overestimate their need for speed.