Connecting a MacBook to HDTV - Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by binxb66, Oct 10, 2010.

1. binxb66 macrumors newbie

Hi - I could use some troubleshooting help on this. I used a HDMI-DVI cable and Mini-DVI to DVI adapter to connect my mac book to my HDTV TV, a Vizio. I tried it using each of the HDMI inputs. Each time what came up on the TV screen was an image of the laptop screen background, but no icons. And when I tried to run a DVD, nothing happened. Any ideas? If this topic has been covered in another post, please feel free to direct me. Thanks!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Your MacBook is running in extended desktop mode. Turn on mirroring to fix this. You can do this in the Displays pref pane.

3. djdl macrumors newbie

If you drag whatever it is you are trying to view to the right of screen until it is disappearing from your MacBook's right edge it will begin to appear on your tv.

That's what I was told at the local Apple Store. Haven't tried the "mirroring" technique mentioned below though

4. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

Or..

if you dont need to use your macbook display at the same time, you can run in "clamshell mode" if you have external keyboard and mouse.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

this way you utilize all available video processing resources for the HDTV.

Sidenote: one you are in running in clamshell mode, you can open up the macbook, if you wish, to help with heat dissipation. At least i can do that with my 2007 MBP.