Connecting a MBP to a 32" LCD TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wgilles, Oct 13, 2008.

1. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I have a 32" LCD TV w/ HDMI input. I have a DVI to HDMI converter cable and I connected my MBP to the screen and it displayed, but it went off the screen, like the resolution was too big. I tried different resolutions and it didn't work. Anyone have an idea to properly display a MBP on a 32" LCD?

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Make sure your TV isn't set to zoom.

3. wgilles thread starter macrumors 6502

wgilles

Just checked that. It is not set to zoom. I found an option in the display panel on the MBP called "Overscan"
    I unchecked it and it got the whole screen in the TV, but now it doesn't fill the whole TV, vertical or horizontal. Any ideas here?

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not completely sure, and don't have mine hooked up to my TV to check, but I don't think the dimensions on the MBP screen are the same as on the TV. So it may never fill it completely. But again, I don't have mine hooked up and I haven't for awhile...

5. songa macrumors newbie

this is a very big concern of mine as well, and i want to find out the answers before buying a macbook or macbook pro. sorry i cant help you here, but i hope someone on here has the answers and can help us out. i understand that MBP's i think have a 16:10 widescreen with a 1680x1050 resolution (at least for the 15"), but i dont think this matches with most HDTV resolutions. I know many 32" have 720p resolution or others that dont match up with the MBP's. is there a way to get the whole MBP picture on the HDTV without having to stretch the picture or cut it off somewhere? i assume this is possible, but obviously it will probably have some black space on the top and bottom since the MBP resolution is wider than TV's i believe.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have horrible luck getting my MBP to look normal on two 32" 720p televisions and a 60"ish 1080p. Everything's all blurry and outta whack. I didn't have any problems on the 1080p once I got a video started, but it's a far cry from the simplicity of a regular monitor. My assumption is this is why PC monitors cost more when you compare sizes.