Connecting a MBP to a TV display, really confused. need help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwfl, Apr 11, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

hi everyone, hope you are not too busy and you wont mind helping me out.

i have got a 15" MBP with the 8600m GT card. The screen support 1440-900 resolution.
    My housemate has a 32" TV display with supported resolution of only 1024-768

i got the cables needed to connect my MBP to the display.

my questions are
    1- my point was to connect the dispaly so that something separate can be done in the TV display like watching a DVD in full screen mode. However, once i push something to full screen in the TV screen, the MBP screen goes dark. i dont want that. Can i have it full screen there, but i still can work on the MBP screen in normal mode.

2- i have spaces enabled. I cant have the MBP displaying a space while the TV display displaying a nother space. i.e. if i change space in the MBP, it changes in the TV display. is there anyway to have the TV display doing one space and when i want to change my space in the MBP it doesnt change in the TV display.

point 1 and 2 are different by they are almost the same thing. in short words, if i do something in the MBP screen it happens there, spaces, expose,
    i want to separate them.

3- closed screen mode, how do i do it. i mean, i want to close my MBP screen and then watch something in the TV display.

these are quick questions. i do feel the answer will be "you cant do it" for the first two questions.
    however, i will get through this.
    thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't quote me on it, but for number 3, all you have to do is to close your laptop so it goes to sleep, and wake it up using a usb keyboard or mouse while it's still closed. It should transfer all it's resources to the external screen.. Search for clamshell mode and you may find what you see.

I don't see why number 1 and 2 would not be doable, I cannot help you as to how though.

3. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your help.
    actually that large tv display is not good as it has a very low resolution for such a large screen size.

however, i still want to know the hows and whys. if i get something useful, i may get rid of my 24" iMac and get myselft a 30" highl resolution display instead.

i will try to go dig the apple support pages and see what i get.