Resolved Connecting a new monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikethebook, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mikethebook macrumors member

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini in which connectivity includes a Mini-DVI and a Mini DisplayPort. I bought a 17" monitor at the same via a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. I want to buy a new and larger monitor now but am bewildered by the range of the connectivity. The monitor I'm thinking about lists interfaces and connectivity as : DVI, d-Sub, vGA but additional items for possible purchase mention only HDMI cables! I'm totally confused. Can anyone tell how best to connect the monitor to my Mac Mini in a way that will give best results.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

For that monitor, using its DVI port is the best option.

You need either a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor/cable or a Mini DVI to DVI adaptor/cable.
    You can also use VGA with your existing adaptor, but that is an analogue connection, whereas DVI is digital which is better.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

4. mikethebook thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. Are there any advantages to using the min display port over the mini dvi port on the Mac?

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- If you're putting DVI in the other end anyway, no there isn't.

Unless you are connecting a display above 1920 x 1200, in which case you need a special adaptor from Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI.

6. mikethebook thread starter macrumors member

So Mini Display Port to DVI it is. Thanks very much guys!!

7. mikethebook thread starter macrumors member

Sorry guys, I've reopened this thread because I need further advice. The monitor I would now like to go for (1920 x 1200) only offers VGA and HDMI connectivity but not DVI. Obviously I would prefer not to use the analogue VGA but what would now work best with my Mac Mini. Will either a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable or Mini DVI to HDMI cable work and if both which would be better? Many thanks.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Mini DisplayPort to HDMI would be preferable, and direct cable rather than adaptor + cable.

Pretty much goes like this in order of preference:

DisplayPort > HDMI > DVI > VGA

9. mikethebook thread starter macrumors member