Connecting a new TV to my old Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TonyWrightE1, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TonyWrightE1 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I recently got a 40" Toshiba Regza television and I'm having trouble hooking it up to my old generation Macbook.

I have a mini DVI to DVI cable from my Macbook:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M9321G/B?mco=16401925

From this I have a HDMI Male to SVGA VGA Male cable:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....19166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2688wt_1033

This cable goes into the HDMI 1 socket on my television, which is selected to display the HDMI 1 socket's input but I'm only seeing a blue screen.

The Toshiba TV is detected by my Macbook and appears in the drop down of display options on my mac's top tool bar, but the 'Toshiba TV' is greyed out and unelectable.

I have played around with mirror options, resolutions and hitting F7 but have had no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'm confused. The adaptor you have and the cable you have cannot possibly connect together without yet another adaptor. Plus, (S)VGA to HDMI needs a box to work properly, since VGA is analog and HDMI is digital.

Just buy a DVI to HDMI cable, connect the DVI end to your adaptor and the HDMI end to your computer. Problem solved.

3. TonyWrightE1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'm beginning to thing you have a mini-DVI to VGA adaptor, because all DVI ports have a space for that flat pin.

Can you post a picture of the end that doesn't plug into your computer on the adaptor you have?

5. MarshallRA macrumors newbie

MarshallRA

If you look closely at the picture of the DVI to mini DVI adapter, you will see its a DVI-D port which means it cant convert to analog VGA, only DVI-A or DVI-I will.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

We're trying to go to HDMI, though, so it really doesn't matter. We don't want anything analog.

7. MarshallRA macrumors newbie

MarshallRA

True, you got a point, but I pointed that out because the cable he linked to was VGA to HDMI, and I thought he was going Mac - mini DVI to DVI - DVI to VGA - VGA to HDMI - HDMI to the tv.

8. TonyWrightE1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all. Thanks for your help so far.

Apologies but I have made a mistake. The adapter that Apple store sold me was actually an Apple mini-DVI to VGA Adapter cable, shown here -

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M9320G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA4Mw&mco=MTczNzE0NjM

I'd really appreciate any tips on what else I now need to purchase to get the old Macbook hooked up to my HD TV.

Thanks!

Tony.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030