Connecting a PB to a TV

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
654
1
UK
Hi,

I'm about to be getting a 15" combo Powerbook and I have a question about the visual output.

Is it possible to connect the PowerBook into a TV and see what's on the PB's screen on the TV screen? (like some digital cameras have, like the Canon Ixus)

If so, do I need any cables for this that don't come with the standard Powerbook package?


Thanks for the help :)



Edit:

My telly has standard coax inputs for video (yellow socket), left-stereo sound and right-stereo sound (white and yellow), as well as an S-video input.
 

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
2,437
1
The Dallas 'burbs
thomasp said:
Hi,

I'm about to be getting a 15" combo Powerbook and I have a question about the visual output.

Is it possible to connect the PowerBook into a TV and see what's on the PB's screen on the TV screen? (like some digital cameras have, like the Canon Ixus)

If so, do I need any cables for this that don't come with the standard Powerbook package?


Thanks for the help :)



Edit:

My telly has standard coax inputs for video (yellow socket), left-stereo sound and right-stereo sound (white and yellow), as well as an S-video input.
There is an S-video output on the 15" powerbook and it comes with an S-video to RCA adaptor so you should have no problem hooking it up to a TV. I've done it multiple times to watch DVDs and other movies on our TV rather than be stuck with the 15" screen.
 

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
654
1
UK
atszyman said:
There is an S-video output on the 15" powerbook and it comes with an S-video to RCA adaptor so you should have no problem hooking it up to a TV. I've done it multiple times to watch DVDs and other movies on our TV rather than be stuck with the 15" screen.
Great :)

Thanks for the speedy reply

Is an RCA adaptor a circular adaptor (kind of like the old mac mouse/keyboard plugs, but bigger) with a few pins in it? Or am I getting it confused with something else?
 

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
521
0
Oxfordshire, UK
The one with all the pins is S-VIDEO, the RCA only has 1 pin, the cable that is supplied is purely to convert from the powerbooks onboard s-video to rca, and is only a few inches long :)

I will admit though, i'm yet to make it do anything useful with the rca adapter, haven't got a s-video to s-video cable to try that :rolleyes:
 

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
2,437
1
The Dallas 'burbs
Eevee said:
The resolution on your TV will not be as good as on your PB screen.
True, about all that it is good for is watching DVDs and other movies, and possibly gaming. TV's do not function well as primary monitors.
 

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
654
1
UK
beige matchbox said:
The one with all the pins is S-VIDEO, the RCA only has 1 pin, the cable that is supplied is purely to convert from the powerbooks onboard s-video to rca, and is only a few inches long :)

I will admit though, i'm yet to make it do anything useful with the rca adapter, haven't got a s-video to s-video cable to try that :rolleyes:
Ah, ok.

Does the RCA end of the cable have a pin coming out of it or a socket for the pin from another RCA to go into? I think I've got an RCA extension cable kicking around, but it has pins on both ends...


atszyman said:
True, about all that it is good for is watching DVDs and other movies, and possibly gaming. TV's do not function well as primary monitors.
That's all I intend to do, and possibly show people slideshows of photographs (my digital camera has this facility, but I have to erase the pictures from the CF card sometimes...)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.