Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Los Angeles, California, USA
Hello;

I've been trying to connect a PowerBook G3 running OS 9 to the internet. I've searched online for a while and I haven't figured it out. I've got an Ethernet cable plugged in to the computer; I've gone to the TCP/IP settings; and I've chosen 'Using DCHP Server'. It asks for a DHCP Client ID; elsewhere online I saw someone putting in the computer's name so I tried that. Didn't work. Anyone experienced with these older machines that can help?

Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
DHCP client IDs aren't needed. You should leave that blank and simply plug it into a router running a DHCP server so that it can get an IP address.

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
DHCP client IDs aren't needed. You should leave that blank and simply plug it into a router running a DHCP server so that it can get an IP address.

I'm not exactly sure about what my router is running, but I assume it's DHCP as that is how my MacBook Pro is connected according to the 'Network' settings. That's why I was trying DCHP in the first place. However, I hit 'enter' and it just gives the 'unable' tone.... It won't go anywhere.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Do you set the connection as Ethernet and the type as DHCP and leave everything else as default or blank? Once done, click the close button and it'll ask you if you want to save the settings, click save. The TCP/IP control panel will close, after about 15 seconds, reopen it and you should see it has populated itself with an IP address and other parameters.

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Do you set the connection as Ethernet and the type as DHCP and leave everything else as default or blank? Once done, click the close button and it'll ask you if you want to save the settings, click save. The TCP/IP control panel will close, after about 15 seconds, reopen it and you should see it has populated itself with an IP address and other parameters.

Well, that explains a lot... I'll try it when I get home in a bit and I'll report back.

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010

Excellent--that worked. It seems like the old girl doesn't like the modern internet much, though, and froze when it tried to load it's home page. I'll change the home page to Google or something not very complicated. Thank you very much for your help.

reverandgreen

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I am also in the same predicament as Braniff747SP; I am finding it difficult to connect my Powerbook G3 to the internet; and although the advice seemed to work for the aforementioned I am still unable to connect. I followed the instructions and after setting the connection to ethernet and type as DHCP, one the window has been closed, saved and reopened, the empty spaces haven't been filled in. Is there any more advice that could be given please?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Is the connection set to Ethernet and is there an Ethernet cable plugged into the machine that has a DHCP router on the other end of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.