Connecting a projector to a new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukejen04, Dec 26, 2008.

1. dukejen04 macrumors newbie

OK, so I am planning on giving a few Keynote/Powerpoint presentations in the next few weeks (I'm a grad student), but have read HORRIBLE reviews about the mini-display port to VGA connectors.

Has anyone here had any experience connecting a projector to their new Macbook? As of right now, I have no idea what brand I'll be using- whatever people have available when I get there.

2. forwarddrew macrumors newbie

I managed to connect a 2.16GHz Macbook to VGA projector using a mini-dvi to vga adapter with no problems.

sorry just read your using a mini display port sorry my bad. don't think i can help you.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

First of all, your MB requires a mini-Display Port to VGA adapter for about $29 and some change, (just make sure you bring your MB to the store b/c you do not want to buy the wrong one and open it). Make sure your MB is off when you connect your adapter, then connect it to the VGA connector, then turn on your MB, then turn on the overhead projector, on your MB press F7, or you might have to go into APPLE/System Preferences/Displays/Options/click on Mirror Displays. Normally, I just press F7 and "poof" you're done. Not a lot of hocus pocus, just be patient and make sure you get there ahead of time and test the system at least once before your presentation(s). Doesn't matter what brand overhead projector or TV you'll be using, b/c I've been using a MB/MBP/MBA over the past two years with my lectures and presentations using powerpoint and keynote 2-3 X per week, so feel free to PM if you should have any problem. Also, get to know your remote really well, it's a definite lifesaver when it comes to presentations (for security purposes, make sure you pair it up and lock out any of your students that want to clown you and mess with your presentation, automatic "F" for the student if I catch them!). If you run youtube during your presentation, it's always nice to bring a cable that provides sound-out, allowing you to plug into the classroom/auditorium speaker system. Hopefully that answers your concerns...:cool:

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I don't have a new MacBook, but I do have one suggestion: If you have any doubt that the DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Apple will not work to your standards, then don't buy an Apple brand adapter. Many other companies sell the same products using stronger materials.

Just a thought :rolleyes: