Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hello,
currently I'm selling my 15 retina and I will be getting 13 air. I was wondering how do I connect it to my TV (LG 42LB550V)? I didn't find any thunderbolt-HDMI dongle, only one I've found is Mini DP - HDMI which says it should connect my air to TV, is it right? I've searched the forums and people are doing it, but I would rather ask than find out it costs $200 later.

Thanks

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Hello,
currently I'm selling my 15 retina and I will be getting 13 air. I was wondering how do I connect it to my TV (LG 42LB550V)? I didn't find any thunderbolt-HDMI dongle, only one I've found is Mini DP - HDMI which says it should connect my air to TV, is it right? I've searched the forums and people are doing it, but I would rather ask than find out it costs $200 later.

Thanks

Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort are compatible, you can get one of those dongles on Amazon for $6 and it will work fine, no worries.

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort are compatible, you can get one of those dongles on Amazon for $6 and it will work fine, no worries.

You mean thunderbolt = Mini DP? That's news to me, neat. Could you link me the correct one? Thanks.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Nah, I was kinda set up with the $30 from local shop. Thank you, I will order it, hope it supports audio too.

It definitely does. I use basically this same thing to connect my MBA to various TVs all the time when I travel.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
the $6 display port to hdmi adapter is garbage. we got 2 and one fell apart within a month. the plastic molding around the display port cracked..

get one with a good warranty and return policy

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
the $6 display port to hdmi adapter is garbage. we got 2 and one fell apart within a month. the plastic molding around the display port cracked..

get one with a good warranty and return policy

The one from Monoprice is $6.85 and the Amazon branded one is $10. I consider either a name-brand product and would trust either to not break or fall apart within weeks.

I have the one from Monoprice that I bought several years ago and it's still going strong.

jsavvy

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I agree with motrek. I have had the monoprice adapter for a couple of years and have never had an issue with it (used with my '11 Air). That's the route I'd go.

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
I will try the monoprice adapter and expect nothing for that price. If it works I will be happy, if it breaks I will just go for the $30 one I guess.

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
I've found out some Mini DP - HDMI cables that are 3m or 5m and description says they are for macbooks, would that case any problems?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I've found out some Mini DP - HDMI cables that are 3m or 5m and description says they are for macbooks, would that case any problems?

Er, aren't you intending to use the cable with a MacBook? How would it possibly cause any problems?

Also, why are you looking at entire cables? Getting the small adapter and using it with a regular HDMI cable will be much more versatile.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Should be fine

No, although an adapter plus HDMI cable would be more versatile.

But that should work just fine, we used one on my 11" MBA two years ago, no problems. Was from either Monoprice or Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.