Connecting Airport Extreme with another Router???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roger555, Apr 9, 2009.

1. roger555 macrumors newbie

OK I know this can be done and have searched many forums and I cannot find the whole walk through on the process!!!

I have the Airport Extreme one version back without the dual antennas and I'm trying to make up for that with my old linksys router. I want my airport extreme to transmit wireless N only! and my linksys to transmit wireless G only!! can someone please help me with the configuration setting to make this happen??

2. raziel777 macrumors regular

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I have that exact setup with a previous gen AEBS and a Linksys WRT54G. If I remember correctly all that I did was to disable the DHCP server on the Linksys, then plugged it into the AEBS, which is set for 5GHz N only. I am using the WAN port on the AEBS, not the Linksys.

4. rich.smith macrumors member

I have a similar setup with a AEBS and a Belkin router. Get the AEBS setup and working properly. Make sure you can connect to the internet both wired and wireless. Configure the linksys to act as an access point. Each vendor has its own terminology for this but basically you'll be disabling the DHCP server in the linksys so that the AEBS is assigning all of the IP addresses. You should set the wireless SSID to something different than the AEBS. For example you could have roger-n and roger-g as your two SSIDs.

Your linksys will be able to support wired clients as well as the wireless. This is nice since the AEBS only has three ethernet ports and one will be used by the linksys.

The single band is an advantage for me since I have two wireless repeaters setup for the Belkin that wouldn't work as well with the AEBS.